Author Topic: [NEWS] linux kernel 5.14 is out  (Read 1514 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
[NEWS] linux kernel 5.14 is out
« on: August 30, 2021, 06:53:46 pm »
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: [NEWS] linux kernel 5.14 is out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 04:06:54 am »
Friends of the community Power good morning everyone, I wanted to do the first installation test of Kernel 5.14 and I did it on Ubuntu as I usually do lately as I use this Distro more and then I am better off with the universal compilation procedure that I can carry out with him or with Debian. Well this time unfortunately it seems that something is wrong because the 5.14 kernel does not boot. The procedure I carry out is always the same and I do not touch anything of the parameters except the usual ones of the processor, some driver module that I know is not needed and the size of the pages. I also thought that the page size had returned to 64K but that's not the problem. When he finishes loading everything he no longer switches the video output to the graphics card. I thought it was a manual switching problem as well but nothing even that is not. So apparently in its first incarnation, Kernel 5.14 doesn't work or at least it doesn't work for me with the Navi 10. I don't know at this point if they again did something that broke the driver and now it doesn't work anymore ... I hope not...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »
Another anomaly that I found during the loading of the operating system and therefore of the various parts of the kernel before login is a prolonged time in loading this part that you see in the picture, which apparently concerns the loading of the swap partition. It takes an abnormal and prolonged time to initialize the partition, in addition to what you see in the picture, in reality it has even reached over 2 minutes, which it has never done on the other kernels until 5.13.13, which by the way I have just compiled and installed correctly to check if the problem had already arisen during the last relase of 5.13 or if they are all problems concerning 5.14. Well, in both cases these are problems related to the new Kernel 5.14.0 so beware of those who go to try it because they could run into my own problems ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 01:10:23 pm »
Hi guys, I confirm what was said in the previous post about this version of Kernel 5.14. I tried to compile and install a later version than the first stable I tried at the beginning, version 5.14.2, but unfortunately the problem persists. This time I did more tests and I saw that using Ubuntu Server and then I think all the distros in server version, then the kernel starts and obviously I start it using Blackbird internal graphics. Then I installed the graphics part and I started Ubuntu always with Blackbird's AST and even here no problem, everything worked as it should. When I entered the classic configuration file to start my Radeon 5700 XT, the problem manifests itself as before. So ultimately I can confirm that unfortunately the drivers for these cards have again undergone a regression and currently it is not possible to use the 5.14.X Kernel with these cards ... It's just a disaster with these continuous regressions, I don't understand what they combine to make certain problems happen after a long time that the cards are out and working regularly, unbelievable ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:15:11 pm »
So it is a bug that really exists, not only I see it thank goodness ...! I hope that this change will be included in the next 5.15 so at least we can resume regular use even with the Radeon 5700 or others ...