Author Topic: [NEWS] Debian 11 is out  (Read 7952 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: [NEWS] Debian 11 is out
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 01:11:58 am »
Oops I didn't know anything about this friend Daniel, I'm sorry about this thing, I didn't know anything about this story ... I hope you can fix it as soon as possible given the work you do for Debian, especially for our Power!

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 03:51:26 pm »

The person who wrote the character assassination claims that I am "purporting to be a Debian Developer"

If you look at his own Debian Developer profile, it says he is a non-uploading developer and he never created one package:

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=donald@debian.org

https://nm.debian.org/person/donald/

I started programming microprocessors when I was about 10 years old and before Debian existed. They can not prevent me from creating and publishing Debian packages.  All they are doing is stopping other people like you from using them in the most convenient manner.  In other words, they are not hurting me, they are simply sabotaging Debian.

This rogue behavior deters other people from creating packages too.  If somebody spends a weekend creating a package, nobody is going to pay them for it but if they are unlucky they will be subject to defamation.  So there is no upside but there is a very big downside.  These vendettas stop people, especially women, from doing voluntary work in any free software project.  Everybody loses in situations like this.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 05:43:06 am »
Yes, I understand everything, do not worry, in the meantime from the whole Power community you enjoy the fullest support and respect and I believe that nobody here denies it, so do what you feel like doing and don't give a damn about these useless people!  As for Debian 11 instead, I noticed that since I boot it with Kernel 5.15.2, it is no longer crashing on boot, maybe it's a 5.12.8 problem that has something that doesn't work well with Debian 11. With Ubuntu on the other hand when I used it didn't give me any problems.  In any case, I continue to monitor it to see if it continues to start without problems, if it does then I can say that the problem lies precisely in that version of Kernel.

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 05:06:29 pm »
I did a fresh install of Bullseye instead of updating my current 10.9.
As with other Debian flavors it is not really ready for prime time, but yes, it does install and run at least in the AST chip.
Some of the missing software that I use regularly has not reached the distro yet and will no doubt be along soon (ish).
For example, Midnight Commander and XFE. No hurry...10.9 is working fine.

How did you install 11? Did you need to switch over to serial console to interact with the whiptail installer?
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 11:42:21 am »
Today I will attempt to do a new install with the latest Debian 11 net install iso.
I use the onboard VGA for the install as not all the AMD firmware is on the install iso.
I'll be back later to report.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 01:13:13 pm »
I have a hardisk with Debian 11 installed and I use it with my AMD Radeon 5700 XT Navi 10. Obviously I had to use a more recent Kernel than the 5.10 which is by default and I also had to update the firmware to be able to use the Navi 10 but once all this is done, it works quite well under the graphics card. As a Kernel I have compiled a 5.15.2 with 4K pages.

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 02:54:03 pm »
@MauryG5

Borley made his post sometime ago and have already worked out his install problem with Debian 11.
Since his list of hardware is not listed it is difficult to offer help.

I hope he is using the AST VGA for the install, and then go from there to tune system for his hardware.
I hope he replies.

And YES, the Deb 11.2 netinstall.iso works fine.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 03:27:59 pm »
I will try tomorrow myself.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 06:54:13 am »
Xlinder yes I know that it refers to an old post of yours but since he wrote on December 29th or 2 days ago, then I thought that his post was worth now since he wrote now and that's why I wrote my personal experience. .. If it solved perfect fine!

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 09:56:30 pm »
Unfortunately, my install still isn't working even when manually setting output for tty0. I don't want to clog up this thread so here is the link to the issue for those who care to take a look.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2022, 10:47:18 am »
Guys I suddenly got a pretty serious problem on Debian 11. I lost the audio, classic speaker icon at the top right and consequently no audio. I try to load volume control, it tries to open the preferences but it remains constantly loading. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pulse audio but got nothing. I tried to force alsa to start but it doesn't recognize alsa, I don't understand what happened ... If I turn up the volume in the settings I get nothing, it doesn't recognize anything anymore, what the hell is going on?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 04:50:52 am »
In the various tests I have done, I have realized that the problem is not in some Kernel driver or even in pulse audio, apparently it depends on gnome.  In fact, as soon as I arrive at the login screen, the loudspeaker with the volume is regularly present and then disappears when you log in.  Trying to tap it on the login screen, it started working smoothly again even after.  There must be some small bug on gnome 3.38 regarding this thing ... See over time if the same thing happens to you too ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2022, 04:15:27 pm »
Hi guys, I wanted to ask you something that I have never been able to understand well. For some time now, I have been compiling the kernels myself to make sure that I use options that are more congenial to me and be able to use the infamous 4K page format as my friend Daniel Pocock taught me. To compile the Kernel, both on Debian and on Ubuntu which is a derivative, I use the universal procedure and then I do: make menuconfig and I configure the kernel, make -jx, obviously I put the number of treed in place of x, make modules, make modules install and finally make install. At that point after make install the grub updates and gives me the new kernel and actually at the new start, I find it in the list of usable kernels. The only thing I can't understand though is, why when I give the grep command to see the installed kernels, I never get my compiled files? Consequently if I have to remove one of mine, I can't because giving the classic remove command, it tells me that that kernel obviously doesn't exist. I would like to understand what is missing in my procedure, which allows the system to recognize 100 by 100 the kernel compiled and installed by me ... Thanks to all of you always

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 06:01:11 pm »
make install places everything in the filepaths directly, so dpkg never sees it. You probably want to build into .deb packages instead, starting from apt source linux-image-X.XX.X-XX-powerpc64le. But don't ask me details, I'm really new to the procedure myself.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 03:31:18 am »
Hi Borley, yes you are right, the installation part with the dpkg -i command is missing but the universal procedure does not bring you anything on how to do after the make install that's why I have never deepened further. Now I have found a procedure that reports the command: sudo make -j 32 KDEB_PKGVERSION = 1.-maury.ppc64le deb-pkg
I call my custom kernel as you understand of course, if I do this then he creates the .deb packages which can then be installed with the dpkg command, only I noticed that if I do this command, I try to compile the 5.15 kernel. X, it gives me an error towards the end of the compilation while if I try to compile a more recent version like 5.17, then the compilation procedure is successful and I honestly don't understand why. If I use the procedure that I have always done, that is the universal one I mentioned above, then the compilation takes place without problems even on version 5.15.X but as usual I have the problem that I do not have the .deb files to perform the actual installation. If I understood how to get the .deb files from the universal procedure, I would continue to use that without any problems ... I would like to understand well how to do after the make install, how to get the .deb files, I need the advice of a Debian expert like Daniel Pocock or Xlinder or Linux experts that there are many in here :-)