Author Topic: [NEWS] Fedora 34 is out!  (Read 6386 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
[NEWS] Fedora 34 is out!
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
More info at https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-34/

I have upgrade my Blackbird (with AMD R9 Nano GPU) from F33 to F34 successfully.

Everything works as expected though the animation of gnome-shell is sluggish.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: [NEWS] Fedora 34 is out!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 11:59:56 am »
I'll be giving this a spin in a week or two. Blackbird first, then T2.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:55:03 pm »
Hi guys, today I came back late and I have not even turned on the Power System, tomorrow I will see if I can get there and I also update one of the 2 hardisks. But I do not understand what this thing means of the slowness of gnome, he has never suffered from these problems, what happened, did they not make the optimizations that were needed? Now who should take more care of the Power version? Everything is very strange, I have to try it myself and see how it works for me with the RX 5700 XT ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 06:04:10 pm »
Hi guys, today I came back late and I have not even turned on the Power System, tomorrow I will see if I can get there and I also update one of the 2 hardisks. But I do not understand what this thing means of the slowness of gnome, he has never suffered from these problems, what happened, did they not make the optimizations that were needed? Now who should take more care of the Power version? Everything is very strange, I have to try it myself and see how it works for me with the RX 5700 XT ...

I think somehow amdgpu plays nice with 5700XT. However for my R9 Nano, it’s subpar performance

My Raptor Blackbird

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:12:27 am »
More info at https://fedoramagazine.org/announcing-fedora-34/

I have upgrade my Blackbird (with AMD R9 Nano GPU) from F33 to F34 successfully.

Everything works as expected though the animation of gnome-shell is sluggish.
Updated. In the beginnig everything looked different and a few issues till I found out that I was logging in using Cinnamon and not KDE, as I used to before upgrading. Now everything looks fine.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:57:44 pm by cchinicz »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 02:23:07 pm »
Guys good evening, sorry but I have a problem with updating to Fedora 34. I don't understand why there seems to be a conflict with the latest version of Chromium, 87. This is the screen it gives me. Do you know how to solve? Thanks always ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:58 pm »
Guys good evening, sorry but I have a problem with updating to Fedora 34. I don't understand why there seems to be a conflict with the latest version of Chromium, 87. This is the screen it gives me. Do you know how to solve? Thanks always ...

Could you please uninstall Chrome 87 then re-trying the full F34 upgrade? Once you are in F34, you could install Chrome again

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 12:53:00 am »
Hi TLE, I had thought of this too but I was hoping there was an alternative to avoid it.  Ok I will do this, I will uninstall Chromium 87 for a moment. To be sure I ask you, is it enough to use the classic "sudo dnf remove Chromium-browser-stable", or do you need something else?  Thank you

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 05:08:20 am »
Hi TLE, I had thought of this too but I was hoping there was an alternative to avoid it.  Ok I will do this, I will uninstall Chromium 87 for a moment. To be sure I ask you, is it enough to use the classic "sudo dnf remove Chromium-browser-stable", or do you need something else?  Thank you

Yup, that command should do the job

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 02:10:19 pm »
All done TLE, I uninstalled Chromium and at that point I was able to update Fedora.  Now I will do some tests, from the first tests it seems that it is quite fluid, you can see that gnome 40 is a bit heavy in fact but in my case it is fine in any case and does not seem to suffer from slowdowns ... I will continue to test all the  settle for a while ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 03:00:41 pm »
Guys then, I'm testing Fedora 34 a bit. I inform you that even for me with the RX 5700 XT, gnome is slow but at this point I deduce that the fault is not absolutely our graphics cards but the lousy optimization that this programmers have once done it and at the same time I understand well why Ubuntu will not use this version of Gnome for its next release. It literally sucks. In fact, I only updated one of the 2 hardisks, for the other I will wait for them to optimize everything ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 03:51:47 am »
guys i'm seeing some videos on youtube, related to Fedora 34 and i'm seeing that the x86 version doesn't have the fluidity problems that we encounter instead ... Unfortunately this time they did a bad job on Power and the results are these. I hope that it will be reported as soon as possible and that they do some updates to fix it because it really sucks when you enter the applications ...

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 09:14:20 am »
guys i'm seeing some videos on youtube, related to Fedora 34 and i'm seeing that the x86 version doesn't have the fluidity problems that we encounter instead ... Unfortunately this time they did a bad job on Power and the results are these. I hope that it will be reported as soon as possible and that they do some updates to fix it because it really sucks when you enter the applications ...
Hey Maury, there is something wrong with F34 video drivers, even on x86. I've updated my Dell notebook from F33 to F34 and since then I cannot change the resolution (fixed at 1920x1080) and the second monitor is somehow related to the notebook display, I mean the zoom (%) applied to the note monitor affects the zoom in the external monitor (also Dell) and I had to play a bit until I could restore the previous setting. Now, with the Blackbird, when I open the display settings I see just 4 options for resolution, among them just one 16x9 (1920x1080).

PS: on the Blackbird I'm using the BMC HDMI output.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 02:33:01 pm »
Hi CCHINICZ, the resolution you see now from Blackbird's HDMI output should be normal as you can't go beyond 1920 * 1080 with the integrated GPU. With the 5700 XT I always have as many resolutions to draw from as is normal. As for the problems on X86 you are talking about, I don't know specifically what they are but I have seen that at least on X86 the graphical interface runs well, smooth and fast without jerks. With us, on the other hand, it literally sucks as you can all see. They have to fix the Gnome 40 because it is currently really bad ... I am amazed by the Fedora / RedHat team who should now theoretically take care of the Power versions a little more ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 05:43:11 am »
Guys, about the Kernel 5.11.16 of Fedora 34, our friend TLE said that now it works with the AMD GPU nano even with pages set to 64K. To me personally, with 5700 does not work exactly as it did not work before, nothing has changed from this point and I continue to use my custom kernel in version 5.12 rc1 and as soon as 5.13 comes out I'll make a version tailored for me ...