Author Topic: Fedora 33 LTS 5.10.x kernel RPMs  (Read 3093 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
Fedora 33 LTS 5.10.x kernel RPMs
« on: March 20, 2021, 05:52:03 pm »
Fedora 33 kernel team decides to skip 5.10.24 and jump straight to 5.11.7. For x86_64, I do not think there would be much huge impact because the community could give feedback when the kernel is in testing. However with ppc64le, especially with the amdgpu driver, it is still a big unknown when / how new version would break.

For my case the AMD R9 Nano continues to crash on 5.11.x (64k Pages size) so I do not have any choice but to continue to stick with 5.10.x. So if you are in the similar situation,

For my case AMD R9 Nano would crash on 5.11.7 to 5.11.11 (64K pages sizes), so if you are into LTS kernel or simply don't want to upgrade, you could check out my fedora kernel fork at https://github.com/runlevel5/fedora-linux-kernel where I add support for 5.10.24 and future minor versions. The RPMs are also available in Release section on the repository (use it as your own risk, I highly recommend you build the RPMs from scratch on your side). I hope it would be handy for some of us.

EDIT: I have since moved back to stock Fedora 33 5.13.x (64K pages sizes). Fortunately everything is working correctly. So I will not be providing any further updated 5.10.x kernel in my repo anymore.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:02:31 pm by tle »
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Fedora 33 LTS 5.10.x kernel RPMs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 04:30:37 am »
Hi friend TLE, I stopped using the Fedora team Kernel, I realized that by compiling it I can personally make it to measure for me, not only for the size of the pages but also for other components that they must leave by default and I do not need them and also I compile specific for Power 9 and not generic or Power 8 that even if it will not affect much in the end, always more specific and tailored to me. I have been using the 5.12 version for a long time now and I'm enjoying it very much so amen, it's ok then when they will decide to use different pages I will see but I think I will hardly go back at this point. Obviously a special thanks goes to you that made me understand how compilation worked in Fedora!   :)

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 06:23:14 am »
Another tips for further optimisation for POWER9 is to update optflags rpm macro by modifying /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc (line 32)

Code: [Select]
optflags: ppc64le %{__global_compiler_flags} -m64 -mcpu=power8 -mtune=power8 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
to:

Code: [Select]
optflags: ppc64le %{__global_compiler_flags} -m64 -mcpu=power9 -mtune=power9 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
the only drawback is that the change would be overriden by `redhat-rpm-macros` RPM updation

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 08:32:16 am »
Done, great report as always, thanks man! When it updates it'll mean we'll redo the change procedure, in the end it's only 2 numbers to change!

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:32:49 pm »
Good news 5.11.12 and 5.11.13 has fixed the amdgpu, I could now upgrade :D

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 06:49:48 am »
You mean that now the Fedora Kernel has started using 4k pages like we do when we compile the Kernel ourselves?

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:04 pm »
No, still 64K pagesize

My Raptor Blackbird

sharkcz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:10:39 am »
So at least some good news after the recent fixes :-)

tle

• View Profile

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:16 pm »
Guys, I inform you that to my great surprise, the official Fedora kernel, now in version 5.13.4, has begun to work regularly with Navi 10, although the page size continues to be 64K. Evidently they must have changed something in the drivers or some other changes made and now it has resumed working. Every now and then a good news! As I told TLE in a past post, it still didn't work for me in version 5.11.12. It started for him with the R9 but nothing for me with the 5700 XT. Now it seems that they have fixed the problem on the 5700 finally and it also does the automatic switching of the GPU, which before, when it started working on Navi 10, it did not do and you had to change video output from the monitor manually to switch from internal ST to external GPU.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 10:32:41 pm »
Don't celebrate prematurely. Historically things could get regressed again in the next minor version. Hard to tell what's exactly going on if AMD don't reveal what's inside the black box binary blob

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 08:42:42 am »
Yes, I'm not excited for a working version, I just wanted to share this discovery with you because apparently the behavior of these Kernels varies depending on the GPU used and so I thought I'd let you know that at the moment also on Navi 10, the Kernel official Fedora works in version 5.13.4 which in any case is a good thing because at least now we can also count on a recent Kernel that remains for the future. I'll try as they update to see what happens in the next versions. In any case I wanted to use the Kernel compiled by me but unfortunately that I wrote in the dedicated post, version 5.13 I can't compile it because it gives me an error and I don't understand the reason why those errors ...