Author Topic: Samsung PRO 980 1TB NVMe is working flawlessly  (Read 347 times)

tle

• View Profile
    • Ruby Journal
Samsung PRO 980 1TB NVMe is working flawlessly
« on: March 02, 2021, 06:40:43 am »
I have been waiting for Samsung PRO 980 for quite awhile. Last week I replaced my old 950 with the 1TB 980 PRO.

The performance is quite decent, I do a simple dd test for a 3GB file, the avg write speed is 5Gb/s and read speed is ranging from 6.1 to 6.5Gb/s.

TRIM is also enabled on my end without any issue at all.

I have updated the wiki.raptorcs.com, so if you are looking for new NVMe, you could have confidence that Samsung PRO 980 is fully compatbile
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:17:50 pm by tle »
Faithful Linux enthusiast

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Samsung PRO 980 1TB NVMe is working flawlessly
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 08:32:32 am »
Great, too bad there are no more PCIe ports on the Blackbird otherwise I would have mounted it myself. In any case, I am also satisfied with the SATA devices at the end but I hope that the next Raptor motherboard is in ATX format deriving from the Condor, a card that is now done and over and that I do not think will be lost and that they can reuse for another processor. They will also be able to implement dedicated NVme ports if they want ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Samsung PRO 980 1TB NVMe is working flawlessly
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 01:55:57 pm »
They'd still need PHBs to attach them to, and there is only a fixed number of PCIe lanes per processor. If you want oodles of NVMe, the big T2 (with both CPU sockets populated) is really your only option; everything else is a tradeoff. This T2 has two NVMe devices, plus video card, SATA (for the optical drives) and FireWire.