Author Topic: WD Black SN850 problems?  (Read 1457 times)

jas

• View Profile
WD Black SN850 problems?
« on: July 29, 2022, 04:45:17 pm »
Hi.  I have tried two different WD Black SN850 SSD NVMe but I'm not able to get a Talos II Lite machine to recognize them.  Via a HighPoint SSD7505 and a cheap M.2->PCIe adapter.  Samsung 980 Pro and Kingston KC3000 works fine.  First I suspected the SSD was broken so I returned it and got another one, but this one behaves exactly the same -- that is, it is like it isn't connected to the machine at all.

Has anyone gotten the SN850 to work on Raptor machine?

dhendrix

• View Profile
Re: WD Black SN850 problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 01:39:47 pm »
I had a similar experience with a WD Black SN850. Basically it would not train at gen4 speed, usually coming up at a degraded speed but sometimes not coming up at all. I tried replacing the M2 --> PCIe adapter but to no avail, and eventually bought another NVMe (Seagate FireCuda) which works fine.

The WD Black drive is now in an older system that only supports up to PCIe gen2 and seems to be working reliably, but obviously I'm not trusting it with anything important.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: WD Black SN850 problems?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 09:37:13 pm »
Ditto with a 2TB WD Black SN850X. System wouldn't see it at all in lspci, in either Petitboot or Fedora. It works fine in a USB enclosure, so I'm using it for that, which is kind of a waste of a fast drive.