Author Topic: Software and Games for GPU new generation  (Read 2569 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Software and Games for GPU new generation
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Hello to the whole forum, now that we have support for the new AMD Navi10 GPUs, I was wondering with which software in particular, in your opinion it is possible to exploit them a little ... I don't know much currently of the most advanced Power software, also in the gaming field, while I know there are games of a certain thickness for Linux X86, I don't know anything about what could be on Power. Of course there won't be all there is on X86 I guess but I think that in any case something interesting will be there for us too ...

Borley

• View Profile
Re: Software and Games for GPU new generation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 06:44:59 am »
If you want to stress memory, CPU, storage and GPU pretty evenly, voxel games are never a bad choice. Try Minetest.
Flightgear, with all of it's physics modeling requirements, would also be a good test of between graphics rendering and CPU.
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 06:20:38 pm »
... the new AMD Navi10 GPUs, I was wondering with which software in particular, in your opinion it is possible to exploit them a little

Install 0. A. D. (3D open source game contained in all major Linux distros). Great graphics and can be played even via network and multiple players...

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:44:37 pm »
I'll second the Flightgear recommendation.  Crank up all the settings, connect several screens or a giant 4k screen, and watch your brand new top of the line system suffer. ;D

I ended up using an NVMe just to get the loading times down, the best GPU I could get, and oodles of RAM.  Somehow Flightgear stresses the machine even more than UT4 (!), and it's a far more balanced stress test (testing all parts of the I/O subsystem plus CPU power plus GPU power.

I had to turn down Flightgear settings on my old Opterons vs. stock, for what it's worth.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 03:39:47 am »
Hello everyone, great advice thanks, Tim (mandscientist159) in the end you took the 5700 XT as well, what do you think? I have just withdrawn the new monitor as well, full 4K support, a really nice sight. I'm also testing high definition videos on YouTube. Show! You are right to say that I have to test my high-end system, but I am missing a piece to complete the start of the AE-9 which unfortunately still does not seem to be on Linux ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 09:23:57 am »
Guys the last time you told me about 2 titles to make the Radeon 5700 work a bit but you didn't tell me about a title that perhaps in the Eco Power system is having more effect than I think here 2 ... I'm talking precisely by Unrial Tournament 4. I see a demo on You Tube that ran on Power8, really interesting I would say ... But news about the development of this game there are not updated apart from obviously the work that a user of the Forum is trying to do ?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 01:16:21 pm »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:59:59 pm by MPC7500 »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 03:05:40 am »
Epic is to blame why?  Did they do anything to stop development?  Do you have any more news about it?