Author Topic: Advice for installing OS via BMC?  (Read 3141 times)

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
Advice for installing OS via BMC?
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:54 pm »
I'm new to Raptor systems, and I have been granted remote access to a Talos II machine. I need to install the OS, but haven't been successful. So far, I tried the Ubuntu 20.10 PPC64LE and Debian PPC64LE full CD installer over the virtual media, and from the serial connection, I can see the kernel crashes.  I have been able to get to the menus in the serial connection for the Debian network installer, but I don't know the network settings. Is it ok to reuse the BMC IP? Is it a safe assumption that the BMC shares the first Ethernet connection port? Next I'm trying Void Linux to see if that's an improvement.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Advice for installing OS via BMC?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:38 pm »
Don't reuse the BMC's IP, you may need it to ssh into it. However, it does share the first Ethernet port. Void Linux should boot like a champ; so should Fedora.

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:16:07 am »
I'm new to Raptor systems, and I have been granted remote access to a Talos II machine. I need to install the OS, but haven't been successful. So far, I tried the Ubuntu 20.10 PPC64LE and Debian PPC64LE full CD installer over the virtual media, and from the serial connection, I can see the kernel crashes.  I have been able to get to the menus in the serial connection for the Debian network installer, but I don't know the network settings. Is it ok to reuse the BMC IP? Is it a safe assumption that the BMC shares the first Ethernet connection port? Next I'm trying Void Linux to see if that's an improvement.

Can you copy / paste the crash messages here so we can take a look?  We should be able to resolve the problem rapidly once we know what you're seeing.

Thank you!

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:28:28 am »
Screenshot of the serial console is attached, it looks like its running some graphical interface but the KVM functionality of the BMC isn't catching it (it's blank).

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 08:36:59 am »
I went to another part of the BMC, and back to KVM, and the login prompt for Void appeared! All looks good and straight forward, except that it seems I can't configure the network. The first interface doesn't work with DHCP, and it seems the second interface isn't connected. This is a test machine provided by Raptor, and they haven't responded to my email, which is why I came to the forum.

What's annoying is that the KVM interface periodically blanks out, and the Refresh button doesn't work. I have to go to some other page, like Sensors, then back to KVM to see the screen. I have Void installed, but since  DHCP and network information isn't provided, I'm at a point where I can't continue my evaluation.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:34:10 am by rjzak »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
Did you set the date to a correct value? Otherwise Ethernet will not work.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:37:02 am »
@SiteAdmin is Raptor, or at least someone on their technical staff.

It looks like you're doing this through the OpenBMC web interface?

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 06:17:00 pm »

It looks like you're doing this through the OpenBMC web interface?
This is all done via the OpenBMC web interface. That's all that was provided.

That's the first I've ever heard of that...

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:26:01 am »

That's correct -- it's a shared account for moderating and some limited interaction.  We were responding here since it made sense to potentially pull in some community resources depending on what you were looking to do.

That's the first I've ever heard of that...

Likewise.

Regarding DHCP, when the test machine was provided to you there were two static IP addresses given.  The first was for the BMC (already configured), and the second was to configure the connected inferface (the one shared with the BMC).  Once you configure the interface to that IP address, you will have full connectivity.  There is no DHCP on the network segment the evaluation machines are connected to.  You would need to use a public DNS resolver such as 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, or 9.9.9.9.

rjzak

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 06:57:17 pm »
I've been able to connect, set an IP, install needed packages. Thank you for the help!