Author Topic: Fedora 35 (was F-34): going to 4k page size? Help needed  (Read 14907 times)

xilinder

• View Profile
Re: Fedora 34: going to 4k page size? Help needed
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 08:27:11 am »
You should find CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF in the Kernel Hacking section of the .config file. You can open the config file with a text editor and use the Search function to find it, but do not modify or save the file from the editor, use menuconfig to make the changes.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 10:24:37 am »
hi Xlinder, so I have to disable a function that is called that way in the Kernel, when I make the changes after opening with make menuconfig ... I will try to search for this entry and see if I can find it to disable it ... thanks

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 12:40:45 pm »
I solved that problem by removing that option in that section you were telling me Xlinder perfect. Now I have another problem related to the final installation of the Kernel that is the last step before it becomes active and usable. When I do the command "sudo make install" he gives me this error, in practice he says he does not find that path that you see in the error and frankly I do not understand because for example on Ubuntu this problem does not give me and as soon as I run this command, he installs the Kernel in a regular way and makes it active. I wonder why on Fedora is missing this path with these directories and files... Do you have any idea what's going on? Thanks always

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 05:16:44 pm »
It's hard to tell what goes wrong because I did not do the manual way, ie `make menuconfig && make`; instead I rely on the `fedpkg` to do the job as instructed in the official Fedora custom kernel compilation guides

Using fedpkg would yield RPM files which won't cause any issue with installation
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 12:59:12 am »
and then you can tell me the procedure you do with the commands you give, I can't do the driving one, if you let me understand what kind of commands you give maybe I can do it too.  In this procedure he says not to find that path, I checked in the sys directory and in fact there is just that path but obviously from where I am, which are in the Kernel folder, he cannot find that path and in fact I do not understand  how come it looks for a path that cannot find in the Kernel folder ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 08:22:00 am »
Just a guess. Since these computers can not go to "Sleep" or "Hibernate" then there is no need for a "Resume". So something in the config file is set for sleep or hibernate and therefore requires resume.
I do not know what. It should not affect operation.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:03 pm »
The nice thing, you know what Xlinder is?  That in any case if you restart the system, the Kernel will find it in any case in the petit boot list and it works perfectly.  Only if you ask the system it doesn't recognize it, it says you haven't installed any 5.10.9 Kernel in this case and so if you want to remove it you have to manually do it file by file.  I would just like to understand why on other distros this procedure works, while on Fedora it encounters this problem in the last command for definitive installation of the Kernel.  Understanding where to possibly correct the defect ... At the end there is only one command to finish everything and it is a shame to stop almost at the end even if it works the same but is not recognized by the system ...

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 01:52:19 pm »
Maury, I don't know. I gave up trying to build Fedora kernels when attempting to install the build system and it kept telling me that "pesign" is required and then says it is not available for ppc64le. Now there is a couple of weeks I'll never get back, %@#**&:(.

Anyway, if it were my system I would (as root) make a file that contains 0:0 only and save it in /sys/power
as resume.
Keep in mind....Crashing a computer does not hurt as bad as crashing a motorcycle.  :P

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 02:30:56 pm »
I don't know I could try it as you say, it costs me nothing.  Create a file I think you mean with a text editor, write 0: 0 and then save it and put it in the resume directory if I understand what you are saying ...

Yes I've seen that perisign talk, but from what I understand non-X86 users don't need that file.  My problem in that procedure is that nothing works for me, I tried to install all the dependencies it asks me but still I can't do anything with that procedure, I don't know how TLE does to make it work, I didn't understand anything.  ..

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »
There is no resume directory. Just a bunch of files in the /sys/power directory.
Yeah, check my avatar, that is how I felt trying to get it to work.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:42:52 pm by xilinder »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 03:32:36 pm »
I understand, well tomorrow I'll try to do this thing you tell me and let's see what happens. Listen one more thing in the meantime, no one can answer me at the moment unfortunately, do you have any news of what happened to Chromium on Power? Fedora hasn't updated for a long time and I can't install it on Debian and Ubuntu, what the hell happened?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:52 am »
Google pulled the plug on Chromium.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 02:29:05 pm »
What does that mean for the QtWebEngine support?

Many other things depend on it.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 03:31:36 pm »
The change to 4k page size has now been proposed for Fedora 35

There is a discussion thread on the Fedora devel mailing list

If you have any feedback please contribute both on the mailing list and the change wiki

Even if you don't support the change, please feel free to contribute ideas to help make 64k more painless, I already put a few ideas in the thread
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Fedora 35 (was F-34): going to 4k page size? Help needed
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 03:36:24 pm »
I think what would be a nice interim option is a Copr for 4K kernels. I've tried to do one of my own, but it's not building with the official Fedora method yet, and I'd like to work the bugs out of that method before making a Copr for it (Dan Horak and I had some discussion about it). Is someone already doing this?

For the record, though, I wholeheartedly support this. I'm curious what packages have 64K dependencies.