Author Topic: Wayland support/port for PPC64el  (Read 2349 times)

cchinicz

• View Profile
Wayland support/port for PPC64el
« on: December 30, 2020, 06:21:11 am »
Hi All,

I've installed Fedora 32 (server and later added KDE/Plasma desktop) on my Blackbird and upgraded to F33 when it was released.

I cannot connect to Zoom (on any browser like Chromium or Firefox) and just found that the issue is that I do not have support for Wayland installed on my system.

Anyone here uses Wayland on Raptor P9 machines?

I do not have a graphics card/GPU. I run video directly through the embedded HDMI port that is integrated with the BMC.

Thanks in advance.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Wayland support/port for PPC64el
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 05:25:21 pm »
I found this about KDE and Plasma on Fedora:
… Currently KDE still uses X11 and although there is a plasma-wayland session available, it is not considered stable or bugfree at this time ...

But will be default on Fedora 34

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 07:51:28 pm »
Why would Wayland make a difference? Who told you that?

Wayland has been the default for GNOME since F25, though I use Xorg.

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:34:56 pm »
I found this about KDE and Plasma on Fedora:
… Currently KDE still uses X11 and although there is a plasma-wayland session available, it is not considered stable or bugfree at this time ...

But will be default on Fedora 34
Yep, I read about that.

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:38:20 pm »
Why would Wayland make a difference? Who told you that?

Wayland has been the default for GNOME since F25, though I use Xorg.
Anyway, I've installed GNOME but the session is x11. Is there a way to force GNOME to use Wayland?

As MPC7500 wrote, there is a KDE Wayland option but if I login with that option I get a black screen and have to forcefully restart the machine.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:41:01 pm »
You could choose Wayland on the login screen. If you have auto-login, logout, choose Wayland, login.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 07:05:55 am »
Even on Ubuntu now you can choose whether to start with wayland, just do it at the time of login .. Too bad that nothing works, everything crashes and you have to restart manually unfortunately ... I don't know if it depends on the 4k / 64k pages or other  ...

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 06:39:44 am »
You could choose Wayland on the login screen. If you have auto-login, logout, choose Wayland, login.
As MauryG5 wrote, if I login KDE Wayland I get a black screen and have to restart the machine the hard way (push button).

It seems Wayland is not supported with Fedora 33 / Kernel kernel-5.9.16-200.fc33. I do not have a graphical card (use the standard HDMI that comes out of the OpenBMC), so no driver issue I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:43:25 am by cchinicz »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 07:06:00 am »
I also confirm the use of the Blackbird video, up to Kernel 5.4 on Ubuntu there is no support for the Radeon 5700 from what I know.  But more generally I remember that support for Navi 10 was introduced from Kernel 5.6 onwards so with 5.4 we still have integrated video.  I tried to use Ubuntu 20.10 with Kernel 5.8 but unfortunately also in this case as on Debian and as on Fedora, starting the operating system, everything crashes and you have to restart the whole computer ... Returning to Wayland, I confirm that it does not even work  with video integrated to the graphics card, it only works under Xorg ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 07:17:55 am »
This is no surprise, since all distributions use, more or less, the same kernel.
And Kernel 5.4 needs the Navi patches.

As MauryG5 wrote, if I login KDE Wayland I get a black screen and have to restart the machine the hard way (push button).

It seems Wayland is not supported with Fedora 33 / Kernel kernel-5.9.16-200.fc33. I do not have a graphical card (use the standard HDMI that comes out of the OpenBMC), so no driver issue I suppose.

Running Wayland on the Blackbird was yet again an unmitigated disaster and I have not seen any information to suggest this has changed for simple framebuffers in general (so if you're a straight BMC-only system as mine is, fuggedaboutit). On the T2, Wayland is still not as snappy as Xorg, but performance was not massively different and window theming and decorations seem more consistent.

ClassicHasClass / Talospace
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:32:45 am by MPC7500 »