Author Topic: CPU Power 9 8 core più veloci e prestanti  (Read 2883 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
CPU Power 9 8 core più veloci e prestanti
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:01:36 pm »
Greetings to the whole Power community, today I chatted with Raptor and asked them if it was possible to have a different CPU from those sold by them up to now. Specifically, it is the 02CY977 DD2.2 model or equivalent DD2.3 or 02WP000 which always have 8 cores but have a 3.8 GHZ base frequency and can be overclocked to 4.1 GHZ consuming 190 W. They replied that the minimum order is 30 pieces and I was wondering if there are people like me interested in this CPU so I can collect 30 orders and do a small upgrade with this model. Are we interested?In my opinion it would have been better to market this and not the current DD.2.3 which is the same as the previous one and also the performances are only slightly higher, while I think these have a slightly higher performance difference and consequently in my opinion they are more interesting. We have 2 models of 4 cores and 2 models of 8 cores that are almost the same, like almost doubles and instead with these models we would think something a little different and more performing ... Let us know if we are interested in this model and let's talk to Raptor in that case ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: CPU Power 9 8 core più veloci e prestanti
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 01:17:53 pm »
Myself, I'd probably prefer the DD2.3 stepping because I need proper DAWR support for development. Was there a price range quoted?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:46:56 pm »
hi Classic, no because I think the price depends on the calculation that Raptor should make once the 30 units have been purchased.  At the moment they don't even know how much it would cost.  Well I would take the 2.3 because it is higher than the 2.2, if we manage to collect at least 30 subscriptions, we have the possibility to buy this beautiful CPU ... Come on guys, we support Power and Raptor more and more and we carry on the eco system, to  apparently Axon AIO is unfortunately not foreseen at the moment so we have to find an existing alternative ...

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:30:58 pm »
02CY977 DD2.2 model or equivalent DD2.3
Just a quick comment, but please be aware that the CPUs you mentioned are not supported out of the box by the existing firmware on the boards:
https://git.raptorcs.com/git/talos-xml/tree/wofdata

There's nothing stopping you from adding the needed tables, but the 190W 8 core CPU will *not* turbo unless if you also install the correct WOF tables into the PNOR.
For reference, the relevant WOF tables can be found upstream here: https://github.com/open-power/WOF-Tables
If the tables are not installed, the CPU will not work in turbo mode and will be quite a bit slower.

(Note: I'm personally running 12 core parts that are normally rated for 105W but have increased the TDP to ~145W. Modifying the tables isn't too much work, and I expect RCS would be open to including additional tables in the firmware image for future release, but you'd have to ask RCS to be certain.)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 01:05:44 am »
Hi Merklot, nice to see you again on the forum, yes I realize that support is needed but for that I think Raptor can help us do everything, the main problem I think is to collect the minimum 30 memberships we need to be able to buy this CPU.  In any case, thank you for your contribution, always very precious!

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:01:41 am »
I will not participate in this. The CPU has a TDP of 190W, the Blackbird has a max TDP of 160W.

So from my point of view the CPU is useless. Either the CPU is limited to 160W, if this is not the
case the VRMs of the Blackbird will be grilled over time.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »
About this I have to ask Raptor because I also have Blackbird and obviously I could not mount myself if in fact it is so ... But in any case I do not think that the minimum number is reached in any case but I have to ask them in any case. ..

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 06:54:04 am »
However, I can say that as a rule, the components that are mainly involved in supporting the power supply part of any electronic and electronic device cannot be sized to withstand the same user value.  So I believe Blackbird has components that should have a tolerance greater than the 160W limit which is the maximum power output of the Power 9 - 8 core we currently use.  It must have a higher minimum tolerance and I think at least those 200W must handle them without problems.  Then I don't know specifically of course, only Raptor can know, but as a rule it works like this for everyone ...