Author Topic: Whonix on PPC64el  (Read 2953 times)

cchinicz

• View Profile
Whonix on PPC64el
« on: December 24, 2020, 10:21:47 am »
Hi All,

I've followed the instructions found on this link https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Whonix

I've created KVM VMs using Debian 10.7 ISO images but when trying to install non-qubes-whonix-gateway-xfce or non-qubes-whonix-gateway-cli I could not solve dependency issues.

Has anyone succeeded creating these VMs?

I have them working on a x86 machine with the same Fedora33 I use on my Blackbird.

Thanks

JeremyRand

• View Profile
Re: Whonix on PPC64el
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm »
Hi All,

I've followed the instructions found on this link https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Whonix

I've created KVM VMs using Debian 10.7 ISO images but when trying to install non-qubes-whonix-gateway-xfce or non-qubes-whonix-gateway-cli I could not solve dependency issues.

I have them working on a x86 machine with the same Fedora33 I use on my Blackbird.

Thanks

Can you post the exact output of the apt command that fails?  This sounds similar to an issue that I reported upstream to Whonix, which was subsequently fixed.

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:28:39 am »
Hi All,

Thanks

Can you post the exact output of the apt command that fails?  This sounds similar to an issue that I reported upstream to Whonix, which was subsequently fixed.

Hey Jeremy, this is the output I got:

claudio@debian10:~$ sudo apt-get install non-qubes-whonix-gateway-xfce
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 non-qubes-whonix-gateway-xfce : Depends: non-qubes-vm-enhancements-cli but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: non-qubes-vm-enhancements-gui but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: non-qubes-whonix-gateway-cli but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: kicksecure-desktop-environment-essential-xfce but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: kicksecure-desktop-applications-xfce but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: whonix-shared-default-applications-gui but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: whonix-gateway-default-applications-gui but it is not going to be installed
N: Ignoring file 'patrick.asc' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The VM where I've issued this command was created with debian-10.9.0-ppc64el-xfce-CD-1.iso.

Any ideas?

JeremyRand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:24:45 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks

Building dependency tree     

non-qubes-whonix-gateway-xfce : Depends: non-qubes-vm-enhancements-cli but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: kicksecure-desktop-environment-essential-xfce but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: kicksecure-desktop-applications-xfce but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: whonix-shared-default-applications-gui but it is not going to be installed
                                 Depends: whonix-gateway-default-applications-gui but it is not going to be installed
N: Ignoring file 'patrick.asc' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

The VM where I've issued this command was created with debian-10.9.0-ppc64el-xfce-CD-1.iso.

Any ideas?

Interesting.  Definitely resembles my recollection of the bug that I got fixed a while back.  I'll see if I can find time to look at this soon, hopefully this weekend.  (Alas, this is not covered by my dayjob, so won't be able to look at it immediately.)

Cheers!

JeremyRand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 02:56:20 am »
Hi All,

Thanks

Building dependency tree     

Any ideas?

I was able to reproduce.  I've updated the wiki; the instructions should work now.  Let me know how it goes.  :)

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 07:38:22 am »
Hi JeremyRand,

I've just tried but got the same result as before (see below). Any ideas?

Building dependency tree       

JeremyRand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 12:07:54 am »
Hi JeremyRand,

I've just tried but got the same result as before (see below). Any ideas?

Building dependency tree       

What happens if you pick one of the dependencies (e.g. non-qubes-vm-enhancements-cli ) and try to apt-get install it?  If you get a similar error ("Depends: ... but it is not going to be installed"), keep recursively trying to apt-get install a dependency until you get a different error, and then post that error.