Author Topic: Waiting for the new Power 9  (Read 5005 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Waiting for the new Power 9
« on: January 05, 2020, 03:11:46 pm »
Well guys, having started 2020 I can't help thinking about IBM and its programs. It has already been mentioned on Twitter but obviously the forum is now the most suitable place to talk in depth about these topics and therefore I would say to start talking about this fantastic new Power 9 processor which however does not yet have a proper name but a way to define it is AXON. There is a nice article about this new series of Power 9, it is said that the increase in power and bandwidth is remarkable, it is also known by now that IBM still intends to exploit Power 9 because there is no reason to switch to Power 10 as Power 9 still has a lot to offer and because the competition is not running too much and therefore you can still focus a lot on Power 9. The production process will still be on the 14th of GF, which then is none other than that of IBM when it still had the production plant which is now precisely owned by GF. I read that it is very refined to the point that it can be compared to TSMC 7, I even know that GF sued TSMC for patent infringement of their current 14-owner process, from where TSMC then pulled out the current 7. .. The agreement between IBM and GF still has a few years of validity, so also for this reason and for the fact that the 14 process is very advanced and current, I think IBM still has a lot to power use on the POWER 9.
So I hope so much to to see something concrete within the year, I am sure that we will see some beautiful ones ... FORCE POWER ALWAYS! ;)

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
Re: Waiting for the new Power 9
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:22:01 am »
There is a nice article about this new series of Power 9

Could you add a link to the article? THX :-)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:48:11 am »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:24 pm »
Dear guys from the openPower community, I came across an article today that I think many of them will have already read. This is Phoronix's article about the apete CPUs, apparently a former RedHAt guy who now takes care of Nuvia CPUs, such as Jon MAsters, claims that Power is dead ...! According to him there are no high-level implementations so he died despite the efforts ...! Now I am a little disconcerted by what this gentleman claims because we have seen Power in the last few years always going well in the server field, super compuyter and now he also has a faction of home computers thanks to Raptor ... I therefore wonder how does to support such a thing and declare it in an interview ...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=How-Open-CPU-Importance

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 04:59:41 pm »
Jon Masters is an ARM shill and his recent statements are disappointingly transparent. I don't hate ARM, but it's not "open" and he twists himself in knots arguing that it's okay to be "open but not that open." It's disingenuous of him, especially given his pedigree in the industry, and we should expect NUVIA CPUs to be more of the same.

Another take on his statements is that NUVIA sees OpenPOWER as a threat. I'm writing an article to that effect.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:58:58 am »
ClassicHas you do well to write the article, I had intuited that this guy is a partisan but I don't know him so I stayed there when I read this article. In my opinion, then it is not just an open source speech more or less, but in general we all know that Arm is anyway an architecture that in the meantime is older than Power, 1986 versus 1991 of Power, then completely fine for embedded and similar, but it doesn't get the power that a Power Server can develop overall! They are only spread thanks to the explosion of smartphones, without which ARM remained a niche CPU! Making certain statements in my opinion is a gamble ...! I hope someone answers him for the rhymes ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 07:01:54 am »
From the latest news that leaked on this new Power 9 Axon AIO, it seems that it will be compatible with current socks, a new RAM will have to be mounted to make them work. It remains to understand the format they will have. There is already talk of updating Summit, the super computer, when I deduce that the 68.5 X 68.5 Monza / Lagrange type format will be regularly present, to understand if they will make the Sforza type version of 50x50 mm in order to understand if we can use it too with the Blackbird or the Talos II. The next Condor is more likely to use them for example, to be seen, therefore, we are waiting to understand ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 10:22:40 am »
Open Power guys, apparently it seems that we will have to focus only on Axon, since it is now clear that for Power 10 there will still be a long wait for us. Apparently IBM will not provide open source until I get out of what I understand and so that's why Raptor can't currently do anything based on Power 10. These days we read many articles about Power 10, it has now been made official and therefore the articles flock. There are several interesting ideas, however, I read for example that despite being a Samsung production and unfortunately a Korean one, IBM also this time put its own in the production process and therefore it will be a specific process for these Power 10 and it is not the usual process used by Samsung. They even write that in comparison, the one currently used by Samsung for its Exsinos is a toy. They also say that what IBM boasts in Power's technology, nobody can, frightening technology that only they can have. All this is obviously nice to hear because every time a new Power comes out, it is given as a big jolt to the whole microprocessor sector and this is very pleased considering how it is seen by the ignorant convinced X86 supporters ...! So it is clear that since it still takes time in any case, it will be Power 9 Axon that I think we will have to focus on for the near future and as a possible update. We hope to know more by the end of the year, they said that was