Author Topic: MAME for Power  (Read 13000 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: MAME for Power
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2022, 04:51:39 pm »
I don't think they are specific drivers because usually MAME when it needs something specific requires it and makes you put it together with the roms. As I told you, they are a whole series of slightly more recent games, from a certain year onwards everyone does it. I've noticed this on all titles that are newer and from the late 90's onwards. I am sure that it is about optimizing the code because you understand that being a bit bigger games, it is already difficult to manage everything and if you start them with a much more modest hardware but based on X86, then the same games, with the same Roma, they go perfect. It's all about MAME on Power!
In my opinion the main problem is that this MAME on Power is simply a transposition from X86, not being written on Power, it does not exploit our processor at all and being a simple transposition, it has all the limits of the case unfortunately ...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:06:57 pm by MauryG5 »

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2022, 10:57:49 pm »
Okay, let me put it another way: if you want someone to look at it, it's got to be narrower than that. "Every game from the 90s on" is such a wide parameter that no one is ever going to go through all those possible drivers. If you have a specific game in mind, then that's a starting point.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 04:38:51 pm »
Ok then a specific example that I can give you is the Street Fighter 3 game in its 3 incarnations and especially in its latest version which is called Street Fighter 3 third strike ... This is a game that goes very badly on our mame ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2022, 12:29:13 am »
Okay, that's something to begin with. I still need to get some higher priority stuff done first, and I still haven't upgraded to F36 on this T2 yet, but that's something for me to check if someone else doesn't get to it first.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2022, 05:30:57 am »
Well classic, your contribution is always precious, thank you very much, we await news from you then ... if you need something you obviously ask as always ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 01:02:19 pm »
It's been a long time since the last post in this thread, does anyone have any news regarding any improvements in the performance of MAME on Power? Classic Has had said he wanted to work on it but to date he hasn't given any more news on the matter...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2024, 10:08:25 pm »
Sorry, it just hasn't been a priority for me yet. I have relatively low needs from MAME, just a couple very old systems that don't require very sophisticated emulation.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2024, 04:35:32 am »
I understand it would take a developer who knows how to write the code apart from you and who can dedicate a bit and at the moment there isn't unfortunately... I hope in the future at least :)