Author Topic: MAME for Power  (Read 12081 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: MAME for Power
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 05:55:06 am »
Guys I tried to take the MAME source and compile it myself but unfortunately it doesn't work, it gives an error as you can see in the section dedicated to our architecture. I don't know at this point how for example Daniel Kolesa managed to get the version of him on Void LInux, it seems that there were errors in the source and therefore it is not compile and installable as a result. Finally, I don't know where to find the dependencies and libraries it needs ...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:52:02 pm by MauryG5 »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »
Guys, I finally found Mame in the games section of the Ubuntu software store. This is version 0.220, quite recent therefore considering that they have arrived at version 0.232. It works quite well, certainly lacks optimization as well, games like Street Fighter 3 for example, run badly, the same game on Mac with X86 from 2012, runs perfect. In any case it is quite good and above all it is available directly and without having to download additional repositories or anything else.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 08:12:20 pm »
Guys then, I found on the web this RPM source of mame that seems to be version 0.229 for PPC64le. But if i try to install it, it asks me besides some libraries, also the package called "mame-data.229 but i don't find this package anywhere. I found also the 197 version but I have the same problem, I can't find the package mame-data, that are the repositories that mame needs to be able to work. I've tried to run the command "dnf install mame-data" as a site recommends but it doesn't find anything unfortunately... I would like to understand at this point if this dependencies package exists or not... But if it doesn't exist, how come there is this source 229.rpm for our architecture?

The link where I found those sources: https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mame%28ppc-64%29+data&submit=Cerca+...+&system=&arch=

I believe the RPM packages are built for OpenSUSE and the mame-data thus is only available in OpenSUSE registry. You would have to find that package and manually install it on Fedora. Lastly I am not even sure if the RPM for OpenSUSE would work with Fedora
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 08:11:36 am »
Hi TLE, I thought that being files with RPM extensions, they were also usable on Fedora but obviously this is not the case. In the end I was unable to use it on Fedora but as I wrote in the previous post, now I use it successfully on Ubuntu which is regularly available and does not need any particular dependencies to install ... Thanks anyway!

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
A while ago I installed the shortwave package from OpenSUSE on Fedora without a problem. So it works, as long as you have all dependencies installed, of course.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 03:03:26 pm »
Yes MPC in fact when I tried to install this version of OpenSuse, then I tried to find all the dependencies but unfortunately I couldn't, I have no idea where to get them honestly. I solved inveve with Ubuntu, which has version 0.220 already nice and ready in the software store and doesn't need any dependencies.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 07:35:00 am »
I dunno what the problem is. I never tried to install MAME.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 10:42:48 am »
From what I have seen, the problem exists on Fedora, mainly because it takes the famous dependencies as often happens when you use Fedora. I also found a version 0.190 or 193 now I don't remember well, which still worked on Fedora. I tried to install it and I was also successful but then he asked me about the dependencies that I tried to look for but that I did not find. Probably I was wrong to look for the source, but being that few use MAME on Power, no one has been able to tell me exactly where to get them. I had also tried to compile but it gave me that error that also on the GITLAB site is mentioned and shown so I abandoned the idea on Fedora. When I managed to get Ubuntu running smoothly on Power, I solved this problem and now I regularly use MAME on Powerm too, a bit like Daniel does on Void.In any case the main problem is the dependencies and then the fact that there is no recent version on Fedora as they have problems compiling at the moment. Maybe they will do something about Fedora 35 to correct this problem but we don't know anything yet ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 11:49:34 pm »
Rejoice foiks, Fedora 36 (rawhide as of today 17 Feb 2022) has re-enabled the ppc64le RPM build

ref: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mame/c/ac389954f54811556b11548396329a86cc82dfae?branch=rawhide

That means Fedora 36 would have MAME out of the box

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 12:58:47 am »
Hi TLE, thanks for the news.  At the moment Fedora put it aside and am using Ubuntu and Debian more, due to that exasperated slowness issue of Gnome from 40 onwards.  We will see later anyway thanks for the good news.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2022, 01:50:47 pm »
Maury, I keep telling you: replace the libgraphene library. I even pre-built one, just replace the older one.

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 10:01:00 pm »
Maury, I keep telling you: replace the libgraphene library. I even pre-built one, just replace the older one.

It does improve the perf BUT it is still tad slower than GNOME 3.38

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2022, 06:34:42 am »
Classic ok but I don't know the exact procedure to replace this library you speak of.  How should one remove that one and put another better one?  And then which one to put?  How to install?  I don't know anything about it ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 04:57:27 pm »
Classic ok but I don't know the exact procedure to replace this library you speak of.  How should one remove that one and put another better one?  And then which one to put?  How to install?  I don't know anything about it ...

Look in https://github.com/ebassi/graphene/pull/233, there is a comment from classic with attached link, download and extract that tgz then move the file to `/lib64/` folder. Problem solved

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2022, 08:11:48 am »
Ok I will try as soon as I refit Fedora hardisk with version 35. Thanks TLE and Classic, always very precious and good!