Author Topic: OpenBSD 6.8, first official release, testing, outstanding issues  (Read 1994 times)

pocock

• View Profile
OpenBSD 6.8, first official release, testing, outstanding issues
« on: September 07, 2020, 03:22:08 am »

According to the PPC page on the OpenBSD web site, OpenBSD 6.8, which is imminent, will be the first official release to support PPC64

Has anybody else tried their PPC64 installer snapshots recently?

After my attempt to run it last week, they included a patch to support machines with larger amounts of memory and the installer progresses further but it still has a limit somewhere.

The next problem I found was that it becomes stuck when I have the LSI 9207-4i4e HBA in the machine.  If I remove the HBA, the OpenBSD installer boots all the way to the first question:

Code: [Select]
Welcome to the OpenBSD/powerpc64 6.8 installation program.
(I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell?

If anybody else has time to test it, especially if you have accessories like a HBA or NIC, that can help the OpenBSD 6.8 release gain traction or at least help qualify the list of supported hardware on the wiki.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

xilinder

• View Profile
Re: OpenBSD 6.8, first official release, testing, outstanding issues
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:34:06 pm »
@pocock
I have been attempting to get openBSD 6.8 installed for about 6 weeks on and off now without any luck.
It boots as far as your above example then.....nothing.
I do have the Microsemi PM8068 SAS/SATA controller on-board. I have removed and replaced the graphics card and all other cards without being able to go any further.

Have you had any further luck?
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

pocock

• View Profile
Re: OpenBSD 6.8, first official release, testing, outstanding issues
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 02:39:26 pm »

When I removed the LSI HBA from the machine, the OpenBSD installer was working, I could install onto an SSD in my USB dock

When I updated the firmware in the Talos II motherboard, I think that fixed some problems with the LSI HBA, I had to use the beta firmware from the Raptor wiki

I posted some observations on the OpenBSD PPC list.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com