Author Topic: Sound card enabling  (Read 6219 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Sound card enabling
« on: December 22, 2019, 07:43:13 am »
Dear friends of the forum dedicated to the Power architecture, here I am again to open a new discussion because, having also wanted to install a recently released card in the audio field, I find myself having the same problem as the video one or the activation on Power . The card in question is the fabulous Soud Blaster AE-9 that I think many of you have got to know, I bought it because it is currently the best sound card available for computers, especially in relation to the very good price with the which is sold and being passionate about quality audio, I was obviously bewitched by this card. I also asked Raptor what he thought of it and they replied that although there were no agios drivers to use it, Sound Blasters usually work great on our beloved architecture. The problem as I said is always the same as with the graphics card, the system sees it perfectly and recognizes it as it should, Alsa Mixer has everything enabled, but the system only sees the digital output and hardly ever sees that analog and when it does in any case the sound does not come out, you put the audio piece, you see that in the system settings the audio output levels are enabled and the bars of the 2 channels move but at the actual audio output there is no is nothing, all silent. It is understood that this is a priority problem, that is, before her the system reads the audio outputs of the graphics card, those of the Blackbird and then those of the sound card, then an enabling problem due to missing drivers and that does not I know if at the moment I can be available or created starting as usual from the X86 version. I also spoke to Creative who replied that they do not support Linux as an operating system and therefore to address those who port the drivers for these cards ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Sound card enabling
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 07:32:43 am »
Unfortunately I see that this discussion does not take off because today the sound cards are less considered than before and furthermore there is still no support unfortunately for this beautiful card and I read that to work it must have the drivers installed in the system. I sent an email to the ALSA group, let's see if they send me back and they can tell me something about it ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:22:56 pm »
I imagined MPC, unfortunately they are still not working on anything on this card, too bad because it is really a great card, we hope that they will soon start working on the drivers because I would like to be able to activate it ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 07:05:54 pm »
You could use USB audio in the meantime. It's cheap and it generally "just works." I thought about a soundcard but I don't really need much other than stereo audio on this machine currently.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 07:05:11 am »
No the only thing was that I wanted absolute quality audio given the characteristics of this AE-9, I don't know if you have read the specifications but it is really the best card currently available on the computer market. I like high quality and multi channel audio, I buy blu ray audio and super audio cd, I have dedicated players but I also wanted to enjoy this high quality audio on this computer. At the moment I use the audio outputs of the Blackbird which still work well, the audio is very good, I just want to have something more that this card can give ... I hope they start to convert the drivers, I wrote to Alsa but no answer yet ...

q66

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:26:09 pm »
A good USB DAC will have much higher audio quality than any sound card.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:48 pm »
but the quality audio not only depends on the DAC but also on the operational amplifiers and the analog section of the card. It is the combination of these characteristics that makes the quality of the audio, not only the DAC is enough ...

q66

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:25:38 pm »
a dedicated USB DAC usually includes all of these things, you can connect it directly to a headphone or speaker amplifier (sometimes you can connect headphones directly to them). A good quality dedicated DAC will still have much higher audio quality than *any* card you can stuff in your computer.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 03:49:57 am »
understood, in any case now that it was purchased, I would like to take advantage of this AE-9, or sooner or later they must give support to enable it on Linux. Do you have any idea how I can contact ALSA support, I sent an e-mail, they replied that it is being processed but I still have not received an answer ... do you know anything more by chance? Thank you

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 07:22:22 am »

q66

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 08:05:57 am »
I don't think you will be able to get your card to work in short term, as it's not supported. Adding support would require someone to write drivers, and that's a non-trivial task, and you won't get anyone to write you drivers by bothering them on email.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 10:22:48 am »
First of all Clemens Ladisch already answered this question two weeks ago ...
Second, why does someone buy a card for several 100$, which does not work under Linux?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 01:32:44 pm »
First of all Clemens Ladisch already answered this question two weeks ago ...
Second, why does someone buy a card for several 100$, which does not work under Linux?
You're right about this but at the time by asking Raptor they replied that Sound Blasters usually work very well on Talos and Blackbird so we thought that this would work too and since among all it stood out a lot, then I bought it. .. I didn't think it would be long ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 01:53:44 pm »
A little Google search would have given you a negative.