Author Topic: [amdgpu] [Fiji] Fedora 32 Linux kernel 5.7.x crashes  (Read 12370 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: [amdgpu] [Fiji] Fedora 32 Linux kernel 5.7.x crashes
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2020, 04:05:25 pm »
Ah well, so we'll have that as Kernel great news. Kernel 5.10 should now have internal support for these GPUs I hope. I just hope there are no bugs on that as well otherwise it wouldn't make sense ...

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2020, 06:52:14 pm »
Sadly 5.10 has not addressed the issue..
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2020, 03:21:47 am »
Hi TLE, I also tweeted to Raptor and they told me that there is still no solution, all this is incredible anyway, there is a bug that afflicts these GPUs and it is still not fixed after months and months ...  I understand what's so complicated that then everything worked fine, how they could suddenly spoil everything is a mystery ... Navi 10 has been around for more than 1 year now and the price has also dropped ... Incredible ...

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2020, 03:35:21 pm »
For the newer Big Navi cards, it looks like stock may not arrive in serious quantities until February or March.  If they work well then maybe it will be easier to just sell any 5700 XT cards and buy the newer cards.  16GB RAM will be really useful for those multi-monitor and multi-seat setups.

Looking at Debian, the Linux 5.9 kernel is now backported and all the related stuff like llvm and mesa builds as a backport too.  Fedora will have all that too.  That is at least 2 major operating systems that will be ready to run these cards in some form.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2020, 04:17:42 pm »
Hi Pocock, so do you think this damn bug that has plagued this Kernel with Navi for months will finally be fixed? Another question, you who are Debian experts, do you think that with Debian 11 there will be full support and just put the classic Xorg setting to enable Navi 10 and it will work on Debian natively too?

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2020, 04:10:58 am »
I don't know if it will be fixed.  If none of the developers responsible for that code are using POWER9 with Navi 10 then they may never be able to investigate the problem completely.

Debian 11 will include a newer kernel and newer components like mesa.  That means newer hardware is more likely to work but it is never a guarantee.  That said, you can now run the 5.9.6 kernel on Debian 10, buster, it is in backports:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/linux

Once again, I would really appreciate feedback from anybody who tries the Navi 10 cards with a kernel compiled for 4k page size.  That would reveal whether the problem only impacts the 64k page size.  It would provide another reason to ask distributions to change their default page size for POWER9 kernels from 64k to the more common 4k.  This was the issue for the NVIDIA Nouveau driver.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2020, 07:39:51 am »
I understand, of course you are not giving us good news on the Fedora front at this point, the main problem is that we have tried to talk to all the main supporters, from the Fedora team to Raptor but nobody can give us a solution ... Honestly I find  this absolutely amazing thing ... That said, this Kernel you say needs to be installed or is it on the current 10.6 version of Debian?  I would like to try installing 10.6 and see how it behaves with Navi 10 ...