Author Topic: Raspberry Pie  (Read 2345 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Raspberry Pie
« on: August 19, 2020, 04:17:55 am »
Hello everyone Open Power community, in these days I came across the RaspBerry Pie world by chance and I got some research on how it works. I saw that being based on Linux, the whole emulator system and the whole retro pie application, can be easily installed even on X86 based computers, (the original Raspberry version is on ARM). I wonder now, there is no version of Power for us today, right? As usual, it takes someone who takes the code and brings it to our system ... Do you have any more news?
Thank you

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
Re: Raspberry Pie
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »
Could you please add links to the "emulator system" and "retro pie application" that you mention (it is not clear to me at least even though I use Raspberries too)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
Hi Flying, then I can post a link where he explains how to install this retropie on Linux and I can also tell you that the procedure also works on Power except starting the script because obviously there is no support for our processor...
https: //www.retropie.it/guide/retropie-su-pc/

For example, this is the procedure to follow and with a Power system you can perform both the installation of dependencies with the second command and go on in the procedure until the last command where it tells you to start the script but in that case obviously you can't because it gives you unsupported architecture error. It would be nice if they did this retopie for us too because there are a lot of old games between console and arcade, all well emulated. With our hardware then we could make them run perfectly.

https://retropie.org.uk/2020/04/retropie-4-6-released-with-raspberry-pi-4-support/
This instead is the official English retropie website with the latest news ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 11:03:00 pm »
Seems like most of the components are open source, though.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 03:12:36 am »
In fact I think the sources are available and just bring them to Power, we could have the retro Pie too.  There are a lot of games from the past and even emulations of devices like Naomi by Sega and others, used for the arcades of the time.  There is a sd that has 250 GB of games, to use for the back Pie ... I think it's really interesting ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:12:03 am »
RetroPie is pretty good. I have installed it on my Raspberry Pi. Amstrad (my first PC, Schneider CPC6128  8)), C64 and Amiga games are working well.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 09:51:50 am »
In fact, good MPC, you have the raspberry Pie directly, but as you have surely seen, it is all based on Linux so someone could think about it a few days and bring it to Power at this point. That would be great because we would have a lot of games on Power in one go ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 10:15:18 am »
I dunno. On the Raspberry Pi, I can just use a PS3 Dualshock wirelessly. On POWER9 you would need a BT-Stick etc. The Raspberry Pi is fine for me.

But of course, any software that runs natively is good.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 04:22:44 pm »
Yes, in fact, excellent to have the Raspberry Pie but if they did the port for Power it would be a great way to greatly increase the number of games present and generally enrich the software park ... I hope that someone who knows how to do it, will consider the idea...