Author Topic: Which GPU would *you* choose?  (Read 10414 times)

vikings.thum

• View Profile
    • Vikings
Which GPU would *you* choose?
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:47 am »
We're aiming to build desktop/workstation computers in Europe based on RCS hardware and we're looking to offer a selection of 3D GPUs that are close to the user/market for needs beyond the 2D AST2500.
Basically we're looking for an entry solution for office/daily driver use (incl. ≥ two non-4k display setups) and a mid-level solution (which can do at least 1x 2160p@60Hz). More high-end than that will be available on request (pointers still appreciated).

• What do you as an existing/aspiring user of Talos II (Lite) or Blackbird currently use and for what purposes?
  • For which technical aspects would you choose AMD over NVIDIA and vice-versa?
  • Do you have a personal recommendation/preference for specific GPUs and if so for what reason(s)?

I'd appreciate any additional data you can give us!

thum
https://shop.vikings.net
XMPP: thum@jabber.vikings.net
Libera.Chat IRC: #vikings (handle: 'thum')

bw42

• View Profile
Re: Which GPU would *you* choose?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 01:37:36 pm »
I personally would go with AMD.
I'm currently running a Radeon RX580 in my Blackbird with the open source drivers.
It has been working beautifully without any hassle or extra config.

The drivers being open source a big bonus for me.

I've been soured on too many issues dealing with Nvidia's proprietary drivers and licensing that I have replaced all my Nvidia cards with AMD in all my systems.

I don't have any specific recommendations.
I know the RX580 works great, outside of OpenCL support still lacking.
Something from that line would probably work well though, like the RX540 for a lower end card.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 02:44:25 pm »
I would also pick a Polaris. Maybe a SAPHIRE PULSE RX 570 8G G5 HDMI DP or a RX 580. I wouldn't buy a Navi again.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:23:31 am by MPC7500 »

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:16:41 pm »
AMD Polaris, largely because of familiarity, and it seems to have the best track record right now. Doing just fine on the Raptor BTO WX7100, so either that or the RX equivalent should be spiffy.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »

I put some of my own observations and preferences in the thread about Radeon Pro vs regular Radeon

Part of the answer depends on what everybody else is using: for example, if a lot of people use a particular card and actively contribute bug fixes to the driver then that makes it compelling.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:18:19 pm »

As there are multiple threads about this, I felt it would be useful to create a wiki page about GPU selection criteria

Feel free to improve it.  A shortlist of products tested by Raptor and other experienced users might be useful too.
Debian Developer

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 06:43:48 am »
I would also pick a Polaris. Maybe a SAPHIRE PULSE RX 570 8G G5 HDMI DP or a RX 580. I wouldn't buy a Navi again.
Excuse me, why wouldn't you take a Navi anymore? In any case, they represent the most prestigious production of the AMD GPU line ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 08:17:31 am »
Too many drawbacks.

A Polaris GPU causes far fewer problems. The performance between RX 580 and RX 5500 is almost identical. Performance/price ratio between RX 580 and RX 5700 is also better.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 05:14:05 pm »

A Polaris GPU causes far fewer problems. The performance between RX 580 and RX 5500 is almost identical. Performance/price ratio between RX 580 and RX 5700 is also better.

On power consumption/heat output, they are both similar too, 30-35W idle

Are all RX 580 variants considered reliable or is there one particular OEM model that people have tested more than others?

Do you consider all Navi to be bad right now, or once again, does it depend on the specific OEM model chosen?

One strategy in my mind right now: Scavange any spare Radeon GPU for 12 months as a stop-gap measure, skip over the new Navi in November and wait for them to release a card supporting AV1
Debian Developer

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 06:56:54 pm »
That sounds like a good strategy.

But I'm afraid that the new Navi-GPUs will have the same problem as the old one.
With Navi-GPUs, fast-reset must be disabled. Which is quite annoying.

I still have kernel problems. The GPU does not crash, but that's probably where my sound problems come from. I dunno if it depends on the model, but I guess that it concerns all Navi-GPUs.

Regarding RX 580 I would buy either a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB or a PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8GB. But this is a question of taste. Performace/ noise-wise these are pretty good, IMO. Each costs approx. €170.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:59:40 pm by MPC7500 »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 10:22:58 am »
And for Navi you need at least Kernel 5.6.13 or these patches.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 12:44:14 pm »

The Wikipedia article on the Radeon RX series has a nice table

A key point that jumps out at me there: some of these are 8x cards, e.g. RX 560.  Most manufacturers produce cards that have the same size connection as a 16x card but in fact they are only wired for 8x.  Some people talk about cutting open the end of their 8x slot and using it for one of these cards.

As these cards are very cheap and as people only have 2 slots in their Blackbirds and Talos II Lite, this could be an interesting hack to keep the 16x slot free for some other application.

As a bonus, those cards use a lot less power, generating less heat and noise.

I suspect modifying the slot will void the warranty, maybe Raptor could consider supplying motherboards with a slot that is modified before delivery.
Debian Developer

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 07:57:54 am »

Another observation I made when installing the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse: this particular card has heatsink on the back of the card

In a Blackbird, the 8x slot is on the fan side of the GPU, so the rear heatsink on the RX 580 will not clash with another card.

In a Talos II Lite, there are only two slots and the 8x slot is behind the 16x slot, opposite of the Blackbird layout: therefore, if you put something like a HBA with a front heatsink into the 8x slot, it may be too close to the rear heatsink of the GPU

I tried putting the LSI 9207-4i4e behind the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse and I found they don't touch but the gap is less than 2mm

The only way around that appears to be choosing another RX 580 variation or using one of the other strategies described above, e.g. a PCIe riser or an 8x GPU
Debian Developer

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 04:01:41 am »

News sites are reporting that AMD will announce details of the Big Navi cards (Navi 2, RX 6000, Sienna Cichlid) on 28 October and it looks like they might reach the shops in November.  The news doesn't really include any specs.

Personally, I can get by using an old GPU for a couple of months longer to see if Big Navi is a worthwhile buy.
Debian Developer

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:26 am »
Yes, as cards they will be excellent and will also have a good price, the problem is that you will have to wait months before they make drivers to be able to use them with Power ...