Author Topic: News?  (Read 2016 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: News?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 08:14:12 am »
As of today, sadly no news.
I think, I would pick a Talos-II lite if I want to buy a POWER9 mainboard.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:58:48 am by MPC7500 »

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 11:44:59 am »
Please have a good look at my comments comparing Blackbird with Talos II Lite

Basically, for anybody choosing between Blackbird and the Talos II Lite, I feel that Talos II Lite is the better choice.  It only costs a little bit more, maybe 10% extra but it gives you 4 memory channels and supports up to 22 core CPUs.

The new Radeon RX 6800 XT appears to be an optimal choice for multi-seat, multi-monitor or graphics-intensive workloads.  Unfortunately, it is wider than 2 slots.  If you put it in a Blackbird then it overhangs the 8x slot.  On a Talos II Lite, the 16x slot is on the other side so a large GPU doesn't overhang the 8x slot.

The Talos II Lite mainboard is in stock

The web site doesn't give a bundle price but you can email Raptor and ask them if they will offer a bundle.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

surf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 12:41:57 pm »
I still have not seen replies to emails or any updates on their web site.  However, they did answer the phone and I was told that they are currently expecting blackbird boards to be fabricated in February.

surf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 10:15:31 am »
Any updates?  I think I saw Talospace mention an IRC conversation...

tle

• View Profile
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 10:07:53 pm »
Please have a good look at my comments comparing Blackbird with Talos II Lite

Basically, for anybody choosing between Blackbird and the Talos II Lite, I feel that Talos II Lite is the better choice.  It only costs a little bit more, maybe 10% extra but it gives you 4 memory channels and supports up to 22 core CPUs.

The new Radeon RX 6800 XT appears to be an optimal choice for multi-seat, multi-monitor or graphics-intensive workloads.  Unfortunately, it is wider than 2 slots.  If you put it in a Blackbird then it overhangs the 8x slot.  On a Talos II Lite, the 16x slot is on the other side so a large GPU doesn't overhang the 8x slot.

The Talos II Lite mainboard is in stock

The web site doesn't give a bundle price but you can email Raptor and ask them if they will offer a bundle.

I believe the company is fully aware of those drawbacks and going to address them in the next revision of Blackbird.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 11:21:40 am »
When the new Blackbird is available I'll be happy to update my blog about it

I suspect each user has different priorities:

- for some users the GPU width is the biggest issue

- for other users the CPU core limit is the biggest issue

I suspect fewer people will be worried about the 2 memory channel issue but as part of the overall picture, it swayed me towards the bigger boards.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 03:20:50 pm »
I am of the opinion that what the Power line lacks is an ATX form factor. I hope at this point that having already made the prototype of the Condor, Raptor will restart from that board to make a new motherboard with this form factor and I am sure that he will please everyone without distinction. The ATX format can guarantee multiple memory channels, multiple PCIe ports and everything you need for a single CPU sock, so the best of Talos but more compact and for a single microprocessor.

surf

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 12:30:46 pm »
Where are you guys getting your information?

I still have not seen any updates here or on their web page, so I emailed and called Raptor, and left a voice mail...  no response in any form so far.  Is Raptor still in business?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 03:31:13 pm »
Hi, yes of course it is in business, only it has more difficulty managing communication due to the negative period caused by Covid. Have patience they will answer ...