Author Topic: v2 CPU availability?  (Read 2455 times)

pocock

• View Profile
v2 CPU availability?
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:49 am »

I notice that Raptor is only offering the 4 core and 8 core version of the v2 (stepping DD2.3) chips.  The 22 core chip is only available in v1.

Is there any reason for this?

I decided to order the 8 core v2 CPUs with the intention that I will use them on a dual-CPU board until the 22 core v2.3 CPU is available.  Then I could move the 8 core CPUs onto Talos II Lite boards and upgrade to 22 core v2.3 chips on my primary workstation.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: v2 CPU availability?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:30:33 am »
This will probably take some time (weeks). The same was the case with the 18 and 8-core POWER9.

Maybe IBM first.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 10:09:05 am »
I'll be very interested to hear how the 22's do in a workstation, especially since you'll really need two of them.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:15:10 am »
I had the impression your comment may be a bit sarcastic but there are cases where 22 core CPUs are useful in a workstation

For example, a multi-seat configuration where 2 or 3 users have keyboards and monitors connected to the same workstation, somebody who is compiling a lot of C++ or Java, somebody who does a lot of data analysis.  For some people, it may be all of the above.  The Talos II dual CPU is really good value for money in such cases.
Debian Developer

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:43:39 am »
No, I wasn't really being sarcastic (maybe a little snarky).  ;) My concern here is the amount of cooling that would make it liveable as a workstation. The board is clearly able to handle it and I don't have any reliability concerns given how overengineered the II board is, but the HSFs will probably be whining all the time unless you have it parked somewhere else as a host where you don't have to listen to it. I would also imagine the TDP would cause a lot of heat in a typical room. I've always thought the 22s were better in server configurations.

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:06:08 am »
What is the idle power consumption of the 22 core chips?  Do they generate heat constantly or only when you throw work at them?

For a multi-seat configuration, one Talos II system running a little hot is probably putting out less heat than three separate Intel Xeon workstations.
Debian Developer