Author Topic: Blu-ray applications  (Read 5536 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Blu-ray applications
« on: December 15, 2019, 03:09:36 am »
Hi guys, I'm looking for applications to be able to read bluray discs correctly, do you have any application to recommend?  Unfortunately today VLC is not available on Power, I was hoping for that but it is not available ...

madscientist159

• Raptor Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Blu-ray applications
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:16:07 am »
Without going into the bluray issue for legal reasons, I do want to correct the VLC concern.  I use VLC on POWER quite often as part of my workflow -- e.g. to check video output from kdenlive (in 4k, actually!).  If your distro doesn't have VLC for POWER I'd be very, very surprised. ;)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:50:17 am »
Hi Tim, yet I have tried several times and I could not find it, I had found a site where there are many applications for the various distributions, I went to Fedora and I also found VLC but when I went to download it he wrote me not available for your architecture ...! Where do you get it for example?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:53:31 am »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:56:03 am »
great MPC, so then why didn't you let me download VLC, you have to enable the fusion repositories, perfect then I will try to perform this procedure thanks good work!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:26:05 pm »
Installed. And to think that I believed that there was not yet for Power, I didn't know how to look for it and obviously I didn't know the requirements to install it. Except that at the moment it doesn't read many DVDs / Blurays, I need some other files to integrate like the AACS library I installed but which I haven't apparently enabled yet, I have to understand how to do it and how to make it work better. Thanks again to the MPC for the procedure!

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 06:18:39 pm »
Hi guys, I'm looking for applications to be able to read bluray discs correctly, do you have any application to recommend?  Unfortunately today VLC is not available on Power, I was hoping for that but it is not available ...

Try MakeMKV: https://www.makemkv.com/

For Linux you have to compile the sources: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:55 pm »
Even if you do, there is still a x86 binary-only blob that does the actual extraction. (You should or should not trust me as I may or may not have tried this.) That blob I so far have not gotten running in qemu-user.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 03:33:59 am »
VLC works quite well however, of course some discs do not read them in any case, unfortunately, especially the most recent ones, I am always talking about original material and regularly purchased in stores. I hope that updates will gradually come out to improve the situation.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 01:35:05 pm »
Hi guys, that you know is there the possibility to compile the MakeMKV application on Power? I just tried but I get stuck on the command: ./configure --prefix = / usr --disable-static
it gives me the error that says: configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

As for the list of libraries you ask me, it seems that there is no library for us: libqt4-dev

Have any of you ever tried to build this application by accident?

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 03:29:35 pm »
All that application is, is the front-end. It doesn't do any key extraction. You need the x86-only blob for that and it is not open-source.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 04:01:26 pm »
I understand so it is not usable anyway.  I had read that it was an ideal application for reading Blu-rays on Linux.  Obviously I always talk about original and regularly purchased software.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 06:32:22 am »
Search for Blu-Ray ppc64le got me to this result
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=113110

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 03:01:02 pm »
Good MPC, interesting discussion. At this point we just have to follow the story and see if they will develop MakeMKV for us too ...

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 06:24:12 pm »
For simple jobs, can you get away with ffmpeg for now?

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i ./BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts transcoded.mkv
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11