Author Topic: [NEWS] Debian  (Read 14818 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: [NEWS] Debian
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2021, 03:56:44 am »
Xlinder I think I found it ... In the end it is the swap partition that Debian actually went to touch, I just don't understand why the system has to dwell on it at this point, what it finds anomalous since I had reformatted it and also disabled it is ... The offending partition is her because it corresponds exactly to the one you see in the load and where it remains for 1 minute and a half ... What can it have in your opinion since it was formatted new?

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2021, 01:33:01 pm »
Free advice (for what it's worth). This could fix the problem, or screw things up really bad.

The UUID of that partition in /dev/disk/by-uuid and /etc/fstab must be the same.

Open Gparted and select the proper swap partition. Then in the Partition Menu select swap-off and Apply that. Next, select the partition again and from the menu select Format and Cleared from the secondary menu.
Apply that. Now format the partition as Linux-swap, and apply. Then set swapon.

Select Information and Highlight the new uuid, you can use Ctrl + c to copy it  and paste it into a text editor.
As root open /etc/fstab with a text editor, cut the old uuid number from the file and paste the new number in it's place and save the file.

Reboot. It's okay to curse me if things went very badly.
Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2021, 02:19:40 pm »
Don't worry, now I have to try somehow, indeed I always thank you for the advice you give me.  As soon as I can I will try to do this procedure you wrote to me, it also seems articulated so not easy, I need time to do everything calmly.  Thanks so much

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
Xlinder hi, before doing any procedure, I'll show you something interesting. As you tell me in your last post, the partitions contained in etc / fstab and dev / disk / by-uuid must match and in fact I find the first 3 all in its place. Except that as you can see for yourself, the offending one is not present, so maybe that's why he freezes for 1.30 as he looks for a partition that is present in etc / fstab but not in dev / disk / by-uuid ! What do you think? At this point, can you confirm that you try to do the procedure you described?
Thanks always very kind!

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2021, 07:36:42 am »
Yes, I have done this before.

There have been many requests for someway to rebuild or refresh /etc/fstab, but no luck from the distros. So this works IF you are careful.

In gparted, just be sure to copy the new uuid number of the partition you Clear. Then paste it into /etc/fstab replacing the old one.

I have another recommendation for you after this problem solved. Let me know when you are done.

Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2021, 09:00:15 am »
In practice, now that I carefully read your procedure, I have already performed the deletion of the offending swap partition when all this happened to me and I thought it was enough but it wasn't.  What I did not do, however, as I did not know, is the last part of the procedure or copy the new uuid number created with the new partition and copy it instead of the old one ... I have to try and let you know ok,  thank you

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2021, 12:49:32 pm »
Free advice (for what it's worth). This could fix the problem, or screw things up really bad.

The UUID of that partition in /dev/disk/by-uuid and /etc/fstab must be the same.

Open Gparted and select the proper swap partition. Then in the Partition Menu select swap-off and Apply that. Next, select the partition again and from the menu select Format and Cleared from the secondary menu.
Apply that. Now format the partition as Linux-swap, and apply. Then set swapon.

Select Information and Highlight the new uuid, you can use Ctrl + c to copy it  and paste it into a text editor.
As root open /etc/fstab with a text editor, cut the old uuid number from the file and paste the new number in it's place and save the file.

Hi Xlinder, you are great! I applied everything you told me and solved the problem big time. Fedora now starts up smoothly and no longer hangs there for 1.30 minutes. Since you told me that the uuid number of etc / fstab must also be on dev / disk / by-uuid you have made me understand the whole problem. In practice he crashed because he did not find the correspondence of the swap partition, the number that was there of the new partition he had created before Debian and then when I deleted and reformatted it the first time, it no longer corresponded with the one contained in by-uuid and consequently he stopped at that point and finding no response then deactivated the swap partition. Now I have to do the same procedure on the other hardisk with another Fedora installed and restore that to return to normal. Thank you so much for your advice you were great!
Reboot. It's okay to curse me if things went very badly.

xilinder

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2021, 12:59:32 pm »
I noticed you are using the default desktop file manager for this problem.
May I suggest to you to install and try XFE and MC (Midnight Commander). Play with them for a while, especially for system and kernel work you might find them very handy.

Sometimes all you need is a bigger hammer.  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:01:29 pm by xilinder »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2021, 12:58:06 am »
https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le

Debian friends, the link that TLE posted brings Chromium version 84 for various distributions.  Is it possible in your opinion to install it on Debian by downloading it from this link?  I tried this with the dpkg command but couldn't, maybe because it has no .Deb extension ... I tried dpkg -i

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2021, 09:27:44 am »
Hi guys excuse me, I was trying to upgrade debian buster to bullseye but something went wrong. While he was doing all the upgrades he put himself in stenad by, I was out of the room and I did not notice and now he no longer takes the commands sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and tells me that the dpkg is locked and I need to make some changes. What exactly must he do that I don't understand? Thanks

Borley

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2021, 01:32:57 pm »
I typically only run into dpkg locked when there is an apt installation running in another terminal or window. Do you have any others open?
Blackbird C1P9S01, CPU 02CY650, 2x 8GB 2666 RAM, 1024GB M.2 SSD, AMD RX 560X, 2U heatsink, 500W SFX PSU, Debian 11

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2021, 05:59:26 pm »
Hi Borley, no I don't have anything else open but now it doesn't load completely anymore, unfortunately it got damaged and I guess I have to delete everything and reinstall Debian ... Damn ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:33 am »
Good evening guys, after having irreparably damaged the Debian version 10.7 so far, I decided to delete and re-install everything. I installed version 11 and now after compiling a Kernel with 4K pages to start the Radeon 5700 XT graphics card, I realized that at startup it gives me a GPU error and does not start with that but always starts with AST. Can you tell me if it's a Mesa or Wayland problem or something else I don't know? I know that the Mesa drivers have been updated to version 20 or higher on Debian 11 so there shouldn't be this problem ... Currently it starts by default with Wayland but I don't remember how to disable it to tell the truth, always if you need to do it, maybe not need to disable Wayland now ... What do you think I'm missing? Hey Daniel Pocock, best wishes for your Talos II bought by my friend in Italy, what do you think is happening since you are Debian expert? Thanks

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2021, 01:31:22 pm »
But I don't think that's the MPC problem as I've always used the GPU activation file in the xorg.conf.d folder and it always worked.  It worked with Debian 10, works with all Fedora and all Ubuntu.  So I really don't think that now I have to do this suddenly ...