Author Topic: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository  (Read 33340 times)

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
Re: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2022, 01:50:43 pm »
Maury, as you've mentioned elsewhere, this seems to be something specific to Ubuntu's Firefox package. Fedora's doesn't have problems like you describe and neither does (to the best of knowledge) Void. If Ubuntu's screwing up their build somehow, that's probably not something that can be fixed on Mozilla's end. What do the Ubuntu port maintainers say about it?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2022, 04:36:42 pm »
No Classic, I was talking about Firefox in general, I was not talking about Firefox on Ubuntu specifically, attention. The problem Firefox has on Ubuntu is that it has a probable conflict with Ubuntu security software and consequently doesn't make Firefox bookmark work but I'm not talking about that. I am talking about the current limitations that Firefox has on some sites where either it does not go at all or is struggling and I am not referring to the Ubuntu version of the Firefox on Power in general. For the bookmarks problem we have reopened the problem with the friend amock who also uses Ubuntu, we wrote that this problem still exists and if they can solve it but I am referring to the navigation problems in general of Firefox not to bookmarks ... Firefox on Power, unfortunately it still reveals less performing and with some limitations compared to Chromium and this creates a big problem since Chromium has remained stationary and or sooner or later if it will no longer be updated, the time will come that we will no longer be able to use it and if Firefox continue with these limitations, we will be out of navigation on a global level ... I also encountered the same problems when I was using Fedora. I haven't used Fedora for a short time, but until recently when I was using it, the problem was still the same on Firefox.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2022, 07:43:57 pm »
Please be more specific about what's not working in Firefox (preferably an example website). I haven't encountered any problems myself, but Mozilla is willing to accept fixes, and we've gotten them upstreamed easily in the past. If it's a performance problem, however, then that's what the JIT is designed to fix, and it is progressing rapidly.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2022, 12:54:30 am »
An example that I can give you quick, tried a few days ago, I tried to enter the Motorola site, I simply did www.motorola.com, did it more than once and none of the times Firefox managed to enter ... Now I don't have tried with the latest version ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2022, 05:24:24 pm »
Motorola (com/ IT/ DE) works. Do you have another example?
Funnily, the site is on Firefox smoother than on Chromium.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:47:47 pm by MPC7500 »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2022, 01:05:41 am »
ok I'll try version 96 too, thanks.  For other examples I have to make a local mind and review because being that I always use it very little I do not remember all the sites where I had problems ... In the meantime I try with the 96 version if it goes to me too.  Thank you

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2022, 11:42:53 am »
Works fine here too (Fedora), also Fx96.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2022, 04:45:12 am »
No guys, apparently the problem lies specifically in the Ubuntu version of Firefox. It seems that the problem of the inability to save the history and save the sites in the bookmark is not the only defect of Firefox on Ubuntu. The absurd thing that I don't understand is why only on Ubuntu, Firefox should be the same for everyone but obviously they use some damn type of software that conflicts with some parts of Firefox and nobody notices it because it is not used a lot. For example, the www.philips.it site is also lacking. Enter the home page but if you try to go to the audio video section for example, a # symbol appears in front of the address and it does nothing, it does not go to that page. Everything then retried with Firefox ESR on Debian and everything works fine.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2022, 11:48:10 am »
Must be something about their build config. Have you posted a bug report? Screenshots could help. There are ways to easily tank a Firefox build, which (even though the default Fedora package works fine) I build my own from source.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2022, 12:32:44 pm »
With my friend Amock, we talked about these reports, he also uses Ubuntu and gave me a link where to report the problem related to the bookmark that has always plagued the Ubuntu version. In the meantime he told me that he too makes his source and he explained how to do it and he also told me that if you do it from the source, then these problems are not encountered. I tried to do it myself as a source but I couldn't. You Classic can you try to give me the exact procedure to be able to build it myself from source and see if I can do it with yours? Maybe there is something in your procedure that doesn't work and I can't build it myself ... Regarding the bug report we wrote on this site but we haven't received any new answers yet, unfortunately ...

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1591164

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2022, 01:17:24 pm »
If it's a Ubuntu related bug you have to report it to Ubuntu not Mozilla. I guess you have to enable something in the Firefox settings to get it work. I know a few people using Firefox on Ubuntu and never heard about that problem.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2022, 05:12:48 pm »
Ok but these people you say use the Power version? Because from what I understand, the problem occurs on Power not on X86 ... I wrote in that forum because my friend Amock told me that there was a report made to that site and that they had already tried to solve it but without success. If I knew who is using Firefox on Ubuntu I could ask directly if something should be enabled but I think it is our version of Power that suffers from these annoying bugs ...

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2022, 01:21:44 pm »
I can't give you the exact procedure for Ubuntu (I build on Fedora), so the packages will differ. You'll need, at minimum, Mercurial (hg), Python 3 with pip and dev libraries, gcc, clang, nodejs, rust+cargo and development headers for GTK, and probably other packages I can't think of off the top of my head. Firefox comes with vendored sqlite, NSS and most media libraries, so you shouldn't need those to build (in fact, using the system libraries has sometimes been problematic, so I recommend against it).

Once you have done, get a copy of mozilla-release and use the .mozconfigs I report here (I would start with a debug build first and ensure that works to avoid LTO-PGO variables) like https://www.talospace.com/2022/01/firefox-96-on-power.html and do a ./mach build in the source directory. Also refer to notes on https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/setup/linux_build.html (minus the bootstrap part, because you already have the proper packages).

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2022, 01:05:48 am »
Thank you Classic for your always valuable information.  Meanwhile, I have good news on the Chromium front, Raptor gave me this link ...
https://quickbuild.io/~raptor-engineering-public/+archive/ubuntu/chromium/+packages

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2022, 01:45:05 pm »
Guys I have noticed a strange thing since I have been using Chromium 97. There are some videos on You Tube that I get errors and they don't load. Then the same videos I go to play them with Firefox and they work regularly. It seems that there has been a step back from Chromium to Power and instead Firefox has taken a decisive step forward. I am using Debian as a distro and like Firefox now version 91.06 ESR has arrived which works really well, by the way I take this opportunity to congratulate my friend Classic for the excellent work he does on Firefox for Power. Returning to Chromium, it is really strange that a browser like him that grinds everything on the web, now has some difficulties. Obviously I have installed all the additional files that Raptor has published together with the main version of Chromium 97 ... Do you have any idea of what happens ...