Author Topic: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository  (Read 33448 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:26 pm »
Exactly after I do the regular extraction of the archive, the file I get is: chromium-browser-stable-87.04280.67-1. I see that the .deb extension is missing but I tried in any case to give the command: sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser-stable-87.04280.67-1 and he gives me an error with the words: error: the chromium archive -browser-stable-87.04280.67-1 is not a normal file. I also tried to give the classic sudo apt-get install chromium-browser-stable-87.04280.67-1 but again nothing. What do you think am I wrong and what command exactly does it take to install this chromium package on Debian? I think that with this command I do, it doesn't work because it wants .deb extensions and I don't have it on this archive so I think it takes another command ...

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2021, 08:57:56 am »
There is _no_ debian package. The tar.xz is an archive of google binary. You can extract the content then run `./chrome` to start the app.
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2021, 12:17:32 pm »
Hi TLE, I ran the command you told me and I started it also on Ubuntu. But my question now arises spontaneously, that is, how do I get the executable file with icon to open like any other installed application? Currently I am forced to always open the shell and give the command you told me to use it, but I would like it to be present already ready like all the other applications ... How should you do it? Thank you

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2021, 05:12:14 am »
You can create a launcher in your local (~/.local/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop) or global (/usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop) with following content of https://gist.github.com/runlevel5/633e3cbb6c50a78ae3c29ebc9a3db7a8
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:14:27 am by tle »

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2021, 03:10:40 pm »
do you mean that I have to go to that path that you wrote me and create the chromium-browser.desktop directory and insert a text file with that link inside it?

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2021, 01:27:41 am »
do you mean that I have to go to that path that you wrote me and create the chromium-browser.desktop directory and insert a text file with that link inside it?

Yes

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2021, 03:14:32 am »
Hi TLE, you had to stop with the development of Chromium apparently, there are no more new versions since I'm seeing and I don't know where to get the sources after 87 to be able to compile it myself unfortunately ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2021, 08:50:01 pm »
Hi TLE, you had to stop with the development of Chromium apparently, there are no more new versions since I'm seeing and I don't know where to get the sources after 87 to be able to compile it myself unfortunately ...

I've been fully occupied at work. I will try to find time to bump the version to latest. I am more than happy to teach you how to if you are interested.

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2021, 12:52:38 pm »
Hello TLE friend, of course I am very interested in doing it, then having a teacher like you is an honor for me! I tried to compile Chromium 87 myself, when you published the sources and the procedure I managed without problems, if the procedure is always the same I have no problems doing it, the problem is that I don't know where to find the sources of the other versions like 88 or 89 etc etc ... If I found the sources I think I would have no problem compiling, always repeat, the procedure is always the same otherwise you should just teach me the new one ... free yourself for the next version ... :)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:13 am »
Guys we stopped at version 87 while Google with its Chrome arrived at version 93 and beta 94 ... We have to recover the lost ground otherwise we will be left behind ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2021, 11:00:40 am »
All the sources code for the build can be found in https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2021, 03:21:58 pm »
Except that I always see up to version 87, besides I don't see anything or at least I don't know how to see the next sources ... Also I see that the most recent files are from 3 months ago ... How can I find the sources from 88 to 93?

tle

• View Profile

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 06:45:05 am »
I keep finding only up to version 87 and with last work done 4 months ago ... I can't find anything else unfortunately ... Or I don't know how to do the right procedure to find it ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2021, 12:33:12 am »
Yes because I and other contributors to the project have not time to port all patches to 87 or newer yet

I keep finding only up to version 87 and with last work done 4 months ago ... I can't find anything else unfortunately ... Or I don't know how to do the right procedure to find it ...

My Raptor Blackbird