Author Topic: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository  (Read 33394 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Chromium and Ungoogled Chromium DNF Repository
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 02:00:01 am »
Great as always, always thanks for your valuable work on our favorite platform!  Let us know how it goes!

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2021, 07:17:44 am »
Okay, folks, the RPM for v85 is now available at https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:04 am »
Okay, folks, the RPM for v85 is now available at https://gitlab.com/chromium-ppc64le/chromium-ppc64le
Great! I've already updated. DNF asked to confirm non-official source.. but I trust and praise you tle for your efforts!

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 02:26:25 am »
Great! I've already updated. DNF asked to confirm non-official source.. but I trust and praise you tle for your efforts!

For corporate or security environment, I highly recommend you to clone the repo then `make dev` then `make chromium` or `make ungoogled-chromium` on your local box.

My Raptor Blackbird

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2021, 04:19:08 am »

For corporate or security environment, I highly recommend you to clone the repo then `make dev` then `make chromium` or `make ungoogled-chromium` on your local box.
That's for sure. The only question that remains is who is going to check the source code?

Anyway, CORPORATE, IMHO, means MS, VMWare, RHEL, Oracle, SAP, IBM and many others proprietary softwares that companies and governments trust blindly. Another step further, maybe based on the same arguments ("we trust our IT providers"), most corporations are ok with Intel/AMD and any other blob inside their servers. They even trust cloud providers with their virtualized servers, which they have no guarantee whatsoever of what's "inside".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:21:57 am by cchinicz »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 01:06:40 pm »
Hi friend TLE, great job you are great. I too have updated the repositories and installed version 85 that you compiled and am using it right now. Thanks for your work for the Open Power community! After a long time we finally have an update of this great browser!

tle

• View Profile

My Raptor Blackbird

cchinicz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 05:17:33 am »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 06:46:31 am »
Great job, only thing I wanted, asking you is how to install the Debian version.  I know I have to download and unpack the tarball but then for the installation I can't find the correct command ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:59 pm »
Could you please elaborate a bit more?

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 09:44:10 am »
Yes of course, in practice I download the tarball with Chromium, when I decompress the file, he extracts the file but does it without any extension and apparently this is a problem because if I try to install with the sudo dpkg command, it does not accept it and it gives me error. I tried to look for guides on how to install but unfortunately without success because it always gave me a pat that is no longer present or obsolete. Of course now this is new and I haven't tried to decompress it yet but I wanted to know before acting, if there is any particular command to use or something else to install ...

tle

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 05:21:51 am »
Yes of course, in practice I download the tarball with Chromium, when I decompress the file, he extracts the file but does it without any extension and apparently this is a problem because if I try to install with the sudo dpkg command, it does not accept it and it gives me error. I tried to look for guides on how to install but unfortunately without success because it always gave me a pat that is no longer present or obsolete. Of course now this is new and I haven't tried to decompress it yet but I wanted to know before acting, if there is any particular command to use or something else to install ...

What is the exact error?

My Raptor Blackbird

tle

• View Profile

My Raptor Blackbird

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 06:43:39 am »
Great job as always TLE, as soon as I can I update.  The exact error I don't remember, I can try again to give the command and see what happens with this new version.  If it still gives me error I will post the exact output of what happens ...