Author Topic: nVidia official proprietary and open source code for POWER  (Read 3286 times)

pocock

• View Profile
nVidia official proprietary and open source code for POWER
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:09:25 am »

These are some of the links that appear most relevant:

NVIDIA forum, describes support for P100 on POWER8 and V100 on POWER9.

NVIDIA media release about collaboration with IBM on open source machine learning with Tesla V100

IBM pages about the same topic

The V100 products are rather expensive.

Nonetheless, some people have suggested that bits of the proprietary driver can be used to run other NVIDIA GPUs in a POWER system.  This thread might be a useful place to collect comments on topics like that.

Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: nVidia official proprietary and open source code for POWER
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 03:41:17 am »
It would be interesting if they could be used to make the RTX series for example from Nvdia work properly. In September, the new RTXs with AMPERE architecture will be released that promise to be really powerful, the problem is that we need someone who knows how to bring that code you are talking about, on Power ... Unfortunately Nvidia insists on not wanting to create an open source version of its drivers and this angered even the Linux creator ...!

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:14:45 pm »
The new Quadro RTX 6000 with Ampere architecture has just come out, what I can't understand from the site is the support they give to the Power architecture. The site shows that there are drivers only for the Tesla series but then if you look in the list, the RTX 6000 and 8000 also come out under Tesla which instead should be part of the Quadro series. So I can't figure out if those Power drivers are suitable for running the Quadro series which is a little less expensive than the Tesla series ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 10:55:09 am »
The Nvidia PPC64le driver allows you to use the GPU for compute (headless), only. Sadly.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 02:50:47 am »
Too bad, I thought that at least those GPUs could be used in full.  I did not know they also did this type of operations or that they could use a GPU only for one purpose, inhibiting everything else, great good rip off I would say ...