Author Topic: Fedora Linux Thread  (Read 15162 times)

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Fedora Linux Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 06:56:25 pm »
Have you tried installing Server, and then converting to Workstation? This comes up with a text boot, but then you can "startx" to go to GNOME. That's how this T2 is configured.

Still, I agree this sounds like a bug.

Yes, this I have tried, too. On the installer I selected network installation, then selected the Fedora minimal installation. Reboot is successfully. Then I enter:

sudo yum groupinstall "Fedora Workstation", got the following messages:
Code: [Select]
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-intel"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-omap"
No match for group package "virtualbox-guest-additions"
No match for group package "mcelog"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-vesa"
No match for group package "totem-nautilus"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-armsoc"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-openchrome"
No match for group package "open-vm-tools-desktop"
No match for group package "hyperv-daemons"
No match for group package "microcode_ctl"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-vmware"
Error:
Problem: problem with installed package fedora-release-31-2.noarch
  - package fedora-release-31-2.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-workstation-31-1.noarch
  - package fedora-release-workstation-31-1.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-31-2.noarch
  - package fedora-release-31-1.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-workstation-31-1.noarch
  - package fedora-release-workstation-31-1.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-31-1.noarch
  - conflicting requests
  - package fedora-release-31-2.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-workstation-31-2.noarch
  - package fedora-release-workstation-31-2.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-31-2.noarch
  - package fedora-release-workstation-31-2.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-31-1.noarch
  - package fedora-release-31-1.noarch conflicts with system-release provided by fedora-release-workstation-31-2.noarch
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

Then I tried: yum groupinstall gnome-desktop and got this message:
No match for group package "totem-nautilus"
But I'm able to proceed with the installation.

After reboot, I enter startx and got the following message:
xauth:  file /root/.serverauth.2074 does not exist
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.20.6
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System:  5.2.7-100.fc29.ppc64le
Current Operating System: Linux power9.fritz.box 5.3.15-300.fc31.ppc64le #1 SMP Thu Dec 5 14:47:38 UTC 2019 ppc64le
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet
Build Date: 25 November 2019  12:00:00AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.20.6-1.fc31
Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 16 01:50:54 2019
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
pci id for fd 12: 1a03:2000, driver (null)
(II) modeset(0): Initializing kms color map for depth 24, 8 bpc.

Edit:

I tried: yum groupinstall base-x and got this messages:
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-vmware"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-intel"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-omap"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-armsoc"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-vesa"
No match for group package "xorg-x11-drv-openchrome"

But could proceed. At the end, same error message.

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
https://pastebin.com/uxzHx1RV

Edit2: From my pastebin:
[   175.383] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ast
[   175.383] (EE) Failed to load module "ast" (module does not exist, 0)
[   175.398] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[   175.744] (EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:33:19 pm by MPC7500 »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 02:25:17 am »
I after installing Fedora server, both with 30 before and after 31, I have always performed this procedure. 
1 dnf group install xfce
2 dnf install xorg-x11-drv-evdev lightdm
3 systemctl set-default graphical.target
4 system enable lightdm. 
With these 4 commands you install XFCE, then from inside the XFCE simply install the GNOME and run the GNOME bug itself.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 05:35:13 am »
This I know, thanks.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 07:04:42 am »
We would ask that you please refrain from any discussion on decrypting commercial DRM-protected media on these forums.  While we are aware that legality varies worldwide, we are US based and this is not something we can tolerate on these boards as a result.

Our official stance is to obtain the media in non-DRM protected form -- for instance, record it from an OTA TV showing (most ATSC/DVB tuners work great wirh unencrypted broadcasts on POWER including software like MythTV), or to simply play the media on an authorized device (i.e. a standalone Bluray player).

It also wouldn't hurt overall to let the studios know you're wanting to purchase a DRM-free version of the movie since you won't be giving them access to your personal data on your PC just to watch a movie.  Having a higher priced DRM-free variant of a movie (compare CD audio to Sirius, for example) has been something we've wanted the studios to consider for a long time.

Excuseme but I don't understand what you're referring to specifically! I have only said and asked to have information on how to install VLC as I was not able to find it and then I wrote that I wanted to understand how to make everything work better with Bluray, I do not think I have altered anything, I only use ORIGINAL software for DVDs and Bluray so if you think I'm asking for information for non-original material to play you're wrong and very pure! Reproducing original material can be done in any place, both home reader and computer reader, so I repeat I don't understand what your problem is sincerely ... If there is something that has translated badly then it is another matter, using the translator of Google doesn't always come out exactly as you write it, but I don't see it myself ...

SiteAdmin

• Administrator
  • RCS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 10:23:34 am »
Excuetce but I don't understand what you're referring to specifically! I have only said and asked to have information on how to install VLC as I was not able to find it and then I wrote that I wanted to understand how to make everything work better with Bluray, I do not think I have altered anything, I only use ORIGINAL software for DVDs and Bluray so if you think I'm asking for information for non-original material to play you're wrong and very pure! Reproducing original material can be done in any place, both home reader and computer reader, so I repeat I don't understand what your problem is sincerely ... If there is something that has translated badly then it is another matter, using the translator of Google doesn't always come out exactly as you write it, but I don't see it myself ...

Most likely this got lost in translation.

In the US there is conflicting law, one law states that you are not even allowed to decrypt original media for playback if it was encrypted (e.g. commercial BluRay).  Due to that law (the DMCA), we cannot allow discussion of how to break encryption (even for interoperability / playback of original media) on these forums.

If you are playing unencrypted BluRay data disks (e.g. mkv data from a camera, etc.) of course that discussion is not a problem here.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »
This I know, thanks.

I'll bug Dan Horak about this, it might be known.

Actually, one last thought: any difference with

dnf install @workstation-product-environment

? Or any of the suggestions on https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/switching-desktop-environments/ ?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:21:34 pm by ClassicHasClass »

sharkcz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 12:31:52 pm »
Best way to install a desktop for a Power machine is to start from the Everything netinstall ISO, it will offer you all desktops in the installer GUI.

Regarding the "release" conflict, does it go away when you pass "--allowerasing" option to dnf (as suggested)? Also as this is nothing specific to Power I suppose it has been discussed on regular user focused Fedora forums already.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 02:09:00 pm »
Hi Dan,

thanks for register.

I'll start at the beginning. I had Fedora 30 "Workstation" installed. After Fedora 31 came out, I did the update through the GNOME Store, all without any problems.

A few days ago I wanted to try something different and I deleted Fedora. Then I reinstalled Fedora 30 and did the update via the GNOME Store again.

Then I had the problem that after the update to 31 no login window appears, only a blank screen.

If I now install a minimal Fedora and then Fedora Workstation (--allowerasing or --skip-broken does the job) on top, then after running startx I get the message that an error occurred and I have to log out again.

As MauryG5 wrote before, another DE can be installed without problems. In my opinion it must have something to do with GNOME and or in combination with ASpeed.

I used the "netinstall.iso" and then the "Install-over-network" option. But I can also try Everything.

What surprises me is that the first time the update worked through the GNOME Store. Not the second time. The only difference was IIRC, that the first time I used the two snippets and the GNOME Tweak Tool. The snippets were "Xorg crashes or is laggy with the AST VGA GPU" and "Low Resolution".

The previous error messages can be found above.

I can use the workaround with the other DE, but that's not really a solution for the problem.

Actually, one last thought: any difference with

dnf install @workstation-product-environment

? Or any of the suggestions on https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/switching-desktop-environments/ ?

Sadly no difference. Same error messages/ problem.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 02:43:38 pm »
In my opinion if you install xfce first and then from inside xfce give the commands to install gnome, the problem no longer exists. I didn't have any problems doing this and I'm still using Fedora 31 with GNOME. Same for Ubuntu, if you install gnome directly from the server version, just reload with gnome nothing works and crashes irreversibly if instead you install it from xfce then restarting it works great and gives you no more problems.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 03:19:37 pm »
As I said above, to install two DEs to get GNOME working isn't a solution for me.

@sharkcz: Everything (source: media -> Fedora Workstation) doesn't work either. After reboot I got a blank screen with a frozen mouse. I even can't login via ssh (connection refused). On installation I selected ssh root login with password allowed. Alt + Ctrl + F2 doesn't work also.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 03:50:58 pm »
only at the moment I think there is no other solution because as I said in the previous posts there is a big bug in GNOME 3.34 and I don't even know if they know that there is this problem. Can you wait and solve the problem? How much time will pass? I think you should do as I did, xfce doesn't weigh and it's a good alternative in my opinion ... then you do ...

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 07:40:46 pm »
Now I'm back on Fedora Workstation 30 again, without any problems. Tomorrow I'll try to set it up the way I did. And then updated to 31. Let's see if it works then.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 07:43:22 am »
be very careful because the first time it happened to me to update Ubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10. Having installed the Gnome by default, when the system updates, automatically downloads and installs the Gnome 3.34 and if they have not yet corrected the problem, as soon as you restart with the updated system, once you get to the login screen you will be irreversibly blocked and you will not be able to do anything else that re-install everything ... The problem as I said earlier is with Gnome, not Fedora or Ubuntu. He does it in all the distros that have the possibility to install the Gnome 3.34 ... Siteadmin, excuse me then, I was not aware of this thing from you in America. With us if you reproduce original material then there are no problems and you can talk about it freely ... I didn't know

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:42 pm »
Wayland or X? If it's Wayland, that might be your problem. See https://www.talospace.com/2019/11/fedora-31-mini-review-on-blackbird-and.html

Thanks for the link, BTW. At the end this was the only solution.

FlyingBlackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 01:26:40 am »
Is there a bug in GNOME? If I select GNOME on the installer, I don't get a login screen after installation. I even can't switch to the console, mouse doesn't react.

I have managed to install Gnome with Ubuntu Server 19.10 directly without installing Xfce first:

* Boot recovery from petitboot and open the root shell
* Install lightdm (replacing gdm3 which seems to have problems): 
sudo apt-get install lightdm* Reboot

For a detailed description of Ubuntu Server 19.10 installation, findings and solutions see my raptor wiki page (work in progress) at https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/User:FlyingBlackbird.