Author Topic: noise levels, sound dampening, tempered glass cases  (Read 2873 times)

pocock

• View Profile
noise levels, sound dampening, tempered glass cases
« on: May 19, 2020, 09:07:06 am »

Some cases (e.g. the Fractal Define 7 XL) offer metal side panels with acoustic dampening or tempered glass as an alternative.

For systems built with the various Raptor motherboards, Talos II and Blackbird, what are the real world observations about noise levels?

Is anybody going to notice the difference in acoustic emissions if they choose tempered glass cases over the fully sound dampened cases?
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: noise levels, sound dampening, tempered glass cases
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 04:43:46 pm »
This is my combo. Even under full load, the computer is quieter than my NAS (DS214). My PowerMac Quad G5 was also louder than my POWER9 today. But I only have a Quadcore. But there is also a modification that makes the whole thing even quieter.

ClassicHasClass

• Talospace Earth Orbit
    • View Profile
    • Floodgap
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:40:34 pm »
My Talos II systems are in the standard Supermicro chassis that Raptor ships. I replaced the power supplies with superquiets and now even my dual-8 is quieter than the Quad G5 next to it, though the Quad is about halfway through its second CPU-pump assembly.

tle

• View Profile
    • Trung's Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 08:33:01 pm »
I have been running the BB on top of a test bench. On full load, the fan could produce 38 to 43dB which is quite okay IMHO. On idle it is very silent (< 10dB)
Faithful Linux enthusiast

My Raptor Blackbird

pocock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:58:08 pm »

My supplier still doesn't have the regular case (both sides dampened panels) so I took the case with dark tinted glass

As the case is so large and the case fans are big, 140mm, they can run at low speed and the overall build is very quiet when CPUs are idle

After hearing the noise levels at full load, I don't believe the dampened panel would make much difference so it is more a matter of personal preference choosing between glass or the regular panel on this case.

As there are some flashing leds on the motherboard, the glass panel might be annoying if the machine is installed in a location where somebody sleeps.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com