Author Topic: Using Older Radeon Cards On Talos II.  (Read 685 times)

xilinder

• View Profile
Using Older Radeon Cards On Talos II.
« on: January 28, 2024, 11:58:53 am »
While messing around with F39 install and my 3 input monitor and the aspeed select jumper.

Sometime ago my fancy graphics card went belly-up and I installed a old RV-730 card. Of course it required the firmware blobs installed into petitboot for it to work, being lazy, or just not finding the time to go thru the pain of doing so, I have been running the T2 on the Aspeed VGA.

Upon running F39 install I noticed the DVI input was active on my monitor when the Aspeed jumper was on. The RV-730 was active! Wow...!

I reboot and just let it go thru all the startup again, without the F39 USBstick installed. This time it booted Debian 12 on the RV-730. This is using the 6.1.0-17 kernel. Another try using 6.1.0-16 kernel failed to boot the RV-730.

Hmm. lets try another old Radeon card. So installed a HD-6850 (BARTS)
card and it also works.

Now you can not see which OS to boot without installing the firmware into petitboot,but the keyboard is active and if you count how many times you click the up arrow key you can select other than the default OS to boot. Cool.

I only run Debian, so switch-on and it boots on the old Radeons without firmware in petitboot. With the jumper on it displays the boot sequence to a certain point then the display changes to the card and I have to select the DVI input on the monitor. If I do not have the Aspeed VGA plugged in then I miss all the boot stuff on the display and the first thing I see is the GUI login screen.

Questions?

Talos II 2x8, 32GB RAM, onboard Microsemi RAID,  AMD WX7100, J.Micron SATA/PATA PCIe adapter. Debian with Mate.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Using Older Radeon Cards On Talos II.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 09:16:32 am »
On Petitboot I always use the framebuffer and on the OS I switch to the RDNA1 GPU.

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Using Older Radeon Cards On Talos II.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 07:19:12 am »
As an MPC I also use the Radeon with the switch after loading the operating system, he himself makes the switch from AST to Radeon.