Software > Operating Systems and Porting

[NEWS] Fedora 32 is released

(1/12) > >>

tle:
RedHat and IBM are now under same roof, the future looks bright for OpenPower. Good news is Fedora 32 is now out.

* Notable changes *
- Kernel 5.6.6
- GNOME 3.36 - faster and better in UX
- TRIM is enabled by default
- GCC 10 / LLVM 10 - even before GCC 10 is released! W00t!
- glibc 2.31
- Python 3.8
- Ruby 2.7
- Golang 1.14
- Workstation flavour - for the first time! - this might be helpful for newcomers

Let's hope the 128-bit floats on ppc64le issue would get addressed in future release.

Download links: https://alt.fedoraproject.org/alt/

EDIT: If you get the "Error loading kernel image" at Petitboot, the workaround is to edit the following boot option for the Fedora 32 Live:

* Kernel: ppc/ppc64/linuz
* Initrd: ppc/ppc64/linux

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F32_bugs#Fedora_32_Workstation_.28ppc64le.29_Live_image_failed_to_boot

MauryG5:
Hi, yes I saw that the update has arrived, the problem for me and for those like me who have the kernel with patch for AMD Navi 10, you can update without losing the patch ... We currently use the modified Kernel 5.5 .0.RC1 + which incorporates the patch written by Tim Pearson to operate the Navi 10 type Radeon 5700 or 5700 XT, or Navi 14 which uses the same patch. Updating to Fedora 32, with Kernel 5.6, MPC7500 says that the patch does not work and therefore for us it becomes a big problem. I don't know how to behave honestly now ...

ClassicHasClass:
F31 is still going to be supported for a little while, so there's no hurry to upgrade if you're concerned about it.

MPC7500:
There is nothing stopping you from using a patched Kernel 5.4 / 5.5 on F32. I also don't think that the patched Kernel of F31 will be overwritten by F32.

MauryG5:
I thank you for the confirmation, I had thought that the Kernel did not touch it but in doubt I asked. MPC sorry but what exactly did you feel to realize that this Kernel does not make Navi 10/14 work? I have not even understood if they have inserted the default patch on Kernel 5.6 or it must always be installed separately ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version