Author Topic: HDMI output for mother board  (Read 3824 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
HDMI output for mother board
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
Hi everyone, I open this other discussion because I have a problem that I also mentioned in Raptor, regarding the HDMI output of the card. In practice, sometimes when you load the firmware when the power switch is turned on, when you load and send the video of what you are doing, nothing appears. The system continues to function regularly and you can hear the end of the petit boot loading but the video cannot be seen. If I turn off the stand-by button then reloading there is the same problem, while if I turn off the main power supply switch and then switch the bmc firmware back on before booting, then it works again, so I think that is a bug in the current bmc firmware that causes this annoying problem. Today he did it 3 times in a row before returning to work regularly. Are any of you experiencing the same problem?

kmarek

• View Profile
Re: HDMI output for mother board
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:07:14 am »
Is this the HDMI of your AMD GPU from the other thread, or the HDMI that's built into the motherboard?

I'm a little confused by your wording of reloading vs standby vs switch.

However, I think you're describing an issue I've had before with AMD cards. Let's see if I understand:
- You turn off the computer using the power supply switch
- You turn it back on and boot, you can see output on the AMD card
- You "reboot" (computer goes back to bootloader, but the lights don't go out)
- You don't see output in the AMD card this time

It is unclear if we share this part, but this also happens for me:
- You turn on the computer and you see bootloader on AMD card
- You "shutdown" (don't flip switch, but the lights go out until you press power button again)
- You turn it back on and boot
- You should see bootloader (I did)

Basically, powering off the GPU entirely makes it work. It's a bug in AMD GPUs that doesn't have a perfect software workaround yet. My current workaround is to disable fast reboots so all reboots turn into "shutdown, then power on". You can do this by running the following command in the bootloader shell:
Code: [Select]
nvram -p ibm,skiboot --update-config fast-reset=0

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:25:45 am »
 no I was talking about the Blackbird motherboard being in Blackbird's discussion, the AMD GPU still failed to activate it, we're working on it. I'm talking about Blackbird's HDMI output and Raptor confirmed to me that there is a problem in the BMC firmware ...

nglevin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:48:15 am »
Could you link to these discussions with Raptor, where they've confirmed that there's a problem somewhere? I'm still having trouble following along with your progress.

For what it's worth, I don't have any of the problems you've described with the HDMI on the Blackbird, stock firmware.

My Blackbird's motherboard HDMI permanently drives a tiny screen made for a Raspberry Pi to see Petitboot before handing off display duties to the AMD WX5100 connected to a proper widescreen monitor for Debian 10.2.

You will probably want a screen that's higher resolution. I originally bought that for a Mac Pro 6,1 running ESXi to see the console, only to find that ESXi doesn't support any of its preferred resolutions.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:50:23 am by nglevin »

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:02 am »
nglevin hello sorry I'm only reading your post now, no no the problem lies in the BMC firmware, Raptor confirmed it to me long ago that there is this problem and not only this. Sometimes it turns on, stays 15 seconds and turns off and I have to turn off the power completely and turn it back on to bring down the initial firmware of the BMC. If instead it loads everything smoothly and the HDMI output works immediately, then the problem never arises and every time I start the machine from standby it works perfectly without problems. The problem arises only when I load the initial firmware after I disconnect the total power for safety reasons in the evening. Now I'm trying to figure out how to update the firmware to see if the problem resolves ...