Author Topic: Graphics Card install  (Read 33121 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Re: Graphics Card install
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2019, 06:40:41 am »
but sorry, let me understand, the whole procedure you posted on Wiki, is useful if I have not misunderstood, when you personalize yourself and you compile the Kernel from you, while having this ready, theoretically you don't have to do all those passages anymore, but after executing the 2 commands from petit boot to disable quick recovery, download and then install the kernel with the 2 commands you posted right or not? Let me understand why as I repeat I experience zero on Linux and unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I have more difficulty understanding but I would like to learn something slowly thanks to Linux ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2019, 04:58:27 am »
Waiting for me to be able to answer the previous question about the already ready kernel, I'm trying to do the procedure you posted on the wiki, when I try to run the git clone command I'm going to post to you, it tells me a fatal error, too many arguments. ..

[MauryPower9@localhost ~]$ cd git
[MauryPower9@localhost git]$ git clone git: //git.kernel.org/pub/scm/ linux / kernel / git / jwboyer / fedora.git --depth 1 --branch kernel-5.5.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc32
fatal: too many arguments

where is error?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2019, 08:00:04 am »
Compare your line with the original one.

Original line:
Code: [Select]
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwboyer/fedora.git --depth 1 --branch kernel-5.5.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc32
Your line:
git clone git: //git.kernel.org/pub/scm/ linux / kernel / git / jwboyer / fedora.git --depth 1 --branch kernel-5.5.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc32
@meklort: Thanks for the patch. I have another question, after patching the kernel, will it be replaced in the next update of Fedora or will it remain?

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2019, 10:09:38 am »
you're absolutely right MPC and I had even imagined it, only if you see the guide, the command is punctuated by those spaces you see in my line, I copied it exactly as it was ... Thanks anyway ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2019, 10:49:17 am »
nothing to do, it returns a fatal error telling me that it is not possible to read from the remote repository ... the connection is there and it is good to the internet ... it tells me to make sure I have the correct access privileges and that the repository  there ...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:32 am »
So I think the problem is that I'm not creating the custom kernel. The point is that I have to understand how to do that, I need to know what commands to use exactly, to create this custom kernel where the patches mentioned in the guide are to be applied. In the guide there are several operations and I don't know which of those to follow exactly. Maybe I need to run the following commands: $ git clone git: //git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwboyer/fedora.git
$ git checkout -b my_branch kernel-4.7.4-200.fc24

Afterwards I have to execute the command that I posted that before did not work for me because of too many spaces and then continue with the following points. Am I right or is there any other Meklort?

meklort

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2019, 09:56:39 pm »
@meklort: Thanks for the patch. I have another question, after patching the kernel, will it be replaced in the next update of Fedora or will it remain?

I believe it would be replaced if you update to the official version from the fedora repos. You'll probably want to change the version string to something custom so that it does not get replaced. To do so, I think you'll want to set the CONFIG_LOCALVERSION value in the .config file
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="amdgpu"

@MauryG5
You'll need to use the bold commands in the guide.

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:08 am »
Meclort so you do not make me understand unfortunately, first of all, the commands in bold where on the kernel creation guide?  If you don't see commands in bold in that guide but only commands written in red and someone written in blue.  Then if that's not what you mean then?

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2019, 05:44:09 am »
You only need to copy/ paste the commands e. g.:
First --> cd ~
Second --> mkdir git
Thrid --> cd git
Fourth --> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwboyer/fedora.git --depth 1 --branch kernel-5.5.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc32

It really isn't that hard. You only have to read carefully and then C&P

@meklort: Thanks, I will try it as soon as I have bought a 5700 or maybe a 5500

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2019, 07:09:23 am »
yes MPC those commands I had already executed them, only that as soon as I make the passage number 4, it returns me error telling me that it does not find the repositories relative to the command or that it is missing connection to internet that instead there is and is regular ... I wanted to understand which commands I have to execute before those you wrote, regarding the fedora guide on kernel customization, that's my problem, I don't understand what I have to do at that point, what commands I have to use, in that guide it talks about many things but I don't know which one to use for me in my case ...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:10:54 am by MauryG5 »

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
If I C&P this line from the wiki: git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jwboyer/fedora.git --depth 1 --branch kernel-5.5.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc32

I get:
remote: Enumerating objects: 70582, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (70582/70582), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (67516/67516), done.
remote: Total 70582 (delta 5378), reused 29135 (delta 2240)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2019, 11:26:50 am »
ok then I'll do as you say, I copied the exact line but it is possible that I made some mistakes that I didn't see.  Thanks for your clarification MPC, I try and let you know

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:45 pm »
Guys then, I'll update you on the procedure, MPC you were right, obviously I was wrong to write some characters and didn't take the commands, I did the copy and I managed to make some commands operational. However unfortunately arrived at the command user @ bb fedora] $ cp /boot/config-*.ppc64le .config, the system returns me error telling me: cp: the objective '.config' is not a directory
I have always done the copy paste exactly as for all the commands up to here carried out and gone to good time ... How come now it gives me error and doesn't make me continue? Where the hell is the mistake this time? :(

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2019, 03:03:05 pm »
I hope you insert the line without the dollar sign? ;)

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »

I admit not being practical on linux by now you all know it, but some things I still know I can distinguish ... no, I had even tried to write it directly to the command but nothing always knows the same error to me ... :(

MauryPower9 @ localhost fedora] $ cp /boot/config-*.ppc64le .config
cp: the target '.config' is not a directory
[MauryPower9 @ localhost fedora] $