Software > User Zone

Graphics Card install

<< < (3/28) > >>

q66:
you don't need to do any of these complicated things, nor you need to load firmware anywhere, etc.

all you need to do is

1) have your petitboot menu on onboard graphics
2) have the booted OS switch to dedicated graphics - there is no PCIe device reset stuff since the driver was not previously loaded on petitboot screen

to make the final booted OS use the dedicated graphics, you need to add modprobe.blacklist=ast video=offb:off on your kernel command line and that's literally it

kmarek:
q66:

PCIe device resets will still affect reboots. It affects me even having the AST GPU disabled by jumper.

Was going to suggest blacklisting ast once it was clear that it was the issue. Other people have AST and AMD working at same time. Also add:

--- Code: ---rd.driver.blacklist=ast
--- End code ---
because modprobe.blacklist doesn't blacklist from dracut initrd.

I am also not certain that blacklisting it (not jumper disabling) solves DMA issues.

q66:
AMD GPUs deal fine with reboots as long as the driver/firmware wasn't previously loaded as a different version, I've been using fast reboot for as long as I can remember on both Talos and Blackbird and there have been no issues whatsoever.

Just using `modprobe.blacklist` works fine. Void uses dracut and there have never been any issues with that, nor I experienced them on any other OS. It's a parameter passed on the kernel, and any call to `modprobe` regardless of whether from initramfs or from the target system will not load it unless overridden, and the kernel will not auto-load it either.

DMA issues (assuming you need the 32-bit DMA thing) are a completely unrelated thing and will affect very few people.

Also, RX 5700 cards are extremely problematic on Linux right now (even on x86). To get anywhere near having a remotely stable experience, you need a patched kernel 5.4, LLVM 10 from svn, and mesa from git built against this LLVM, any other configuration will result in frequent hangs (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/892)

kmarek:

--- Quote from: q66 on December 01, 2019, 10:39:09 am ---AMD GPUs deal fine with reboots as long as the driver/firmware wasn't previously loaded as a different version, I've been using fast reboot for as long as I can remember on both Talos and Blackbird and there have been no issues whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

You and I discussed this on IRC before. RX Vega 64 is still subject to the two reboot issue even if firmware version hasn't changed.

--- Quote from: q66 on December 01, 2019, 10:39:09 am ---Just using `modprobe.blacklist` works fine. Void uses dracut and there have never been any issues with that, nor I experienced them on any other OS. It's a parameter passed on the kernel, and any call to `modprobe` regardless of whether from initramfs or from the target system will not load it unless overridden, and the kernel will not auto-load it either.

--- End quote ---

Ah, okay. I probably made a typo when I had issues in the past, then...

--- Quote from: q66 on December 01, 2019, 10:39:09 am ---Also, RX 5700 cards are extremely problematic on Linux right now (even on x86). To get anywhere near having a remotely stable experience, you need a patched kernel 5.4, LLVM 10 from svn, and mesa from git built against this LLVM, any other configuration will result in frequent hangs (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/892)

--- End quote ---

I was unaware.

q66:
Either way, before trying anything complicated, I'd simply try blacklisting ast (and disabling offb, as the firmware "helpfully" emulates openfirmware framebuffer by default so you'll get output on ast even if the driver is not loaded) and see whether that does anything. 95% chance it will, and if it doesn't, only then I'd try any further steps.

Definitely don't try to load any firmware into BOOTKERNFW or whatever right now. You don't really need any of that *unless* you want the Petitboot screen to show up on dedicated graphics and even then I wouldn't exactly recommend it since the drivers are problematic with that stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version