OpenPOWER ISA > General Discussion

The pride of being Power!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Borley:
I second that. It would be one thing if any x86 board maker went out, but the loss of Raptor would mean the effective end of something that is quite honestly a rare anomaly in the industry.

surf:

--- Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 02, 2020, 10:38:24 pm ---I just got shipping notification on my dual-8 second Talos II system...
--- End quote ---

I was wondering how your upgrade went.  I follow your blog and really appreciate your contributions to the community.  With so many options, how did you pick the dual 8-core setup?  For example, it looks like you could get a single 18-core CPU for less than the dual 8, and you would have an empty socket for future upgrades.

ClassicHasClass:
For the T2, you really want both processor sockets filled, or you lose slots (because the CPUs provide the PCIe lanes; it's not something Raptor did to make you buy more than you need). A single-socket T2 would only be useful if you didn't need the expansion and I do. That's really the sales case for the T2 Lite anyway (you need more threads than a Blackbird can handle, but you don't need the expansion options of the full T2).

Anyway, it didn't start off swimmingly but for various reasons not all due to that system specifically. Fortunately things are back in order and I'll have more to say about it when I finish getting all the pieces back together.

surf:
Thanks for the reply.  I also just saw your blog post--very thorough!  The explanation for filling both sockets makes sense.  I guess I hadn't picked up on that before.

Do you know which CPUs you got?  If some of your tests ran the same then I'm guessing the CPU speed was the same.  From the datasheet I've seen, the 02CY649 DD2.3 8-core part has a 3.8GHz "boost" speed, which would be the same as the 02C297 4-core part.  The "base" frequency is higher, whatever that means.  I'm guessing the CPU automatically ramps to 3.8GHz under load (temperature permitting)?

The datasheet also lists a 02WP000 DD2.3 8-core CPU a 4.1GHz.

ClassicHasClass:
Derp. It would have been a good idea for me to actually check the number before I installed it, but Raptor's specs (mostly) match the 02CY649.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version