Author Topic: Problems with new Kernels on Debian 12  (Read 191 times)

MauryG5

• View Profile
Problems with new Kernels on Debian 12
« on: October 20, 2024, 03:29:07 pm »
Guys I redid the correct installation of Debian 12, at the time I had made a mistake because I had put a repository that had brought Debian from 11 to 12 but had not updated the repositories and I had not therefore noticed this lack and in fact Debian broke at a certain point. I had returned to 11, I used it until yesterday but today I wanted to do the correct procedure to update to 12. Well after having done everything and also installed the repositories correctly, modifying the file /etc/apt/source.list, I tried to compile the latest kernel 6.11.4 but unfortunately it does not work. Even those that I had previously compiled and installed for Debian 11 such as 6.10.1 or 6.11.2 do not work and then I understood that there is something that does not work in Debian 12 for the new Kernels. The only one that works is its 6.1.32. Do you have any idea what is missing and what needs to be changed to make Debian 12 work properly with the latest Kernels? Could it be that I am missing the backport repository in the list and that is why I cannot install new Kernels? As long as I used Debian 11 there were no problems and all the latest Kernels always worked, I don't understand... :-\

pocock

• View Profile
Re: Problems with new Kernels on Debian 12
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:36:51 am »

Back in July I made a series of posts in this thread about the kernel on Debian 12

I did not find a quick solution so I am running my patched 5.10.0-8-powerpc64le-4k kernel package on Debian 12

The 6.x kernels were giving problems as described in the other thread.  The 5.10.x kernel has been stable for me.
Debian Developer
https://danielpocock.com

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:36:33 am »
So it's a known issue on 12 as far as I can see damn. Using the default one which is 6.1.32 it works fine but I might try to compile a 6.11.X with 4K pages at this point... at least see if it works like that...

MauryG5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:53:12 am »
In any case I don't understand one thing Daniel, if Kernel 6.1.X works, why shouldn't the subsequent ones? What changes from 6.2 onwards to give these problems? In fact it seems that it is always a graphics card problem because I noticed that it loads the Kernel regularly and then when it has to do the classic switch from AST to Radeon, the list screen that it executes when it loads comes back and then it freezes at that point... So it really seems that it doesn't switch to the graphics card. I wonder if in fact as you said, if you try to update the mesa drivers and the firmware, as you made me do at the time to start the Radeon on Debian 10, the thing can be resolvable but I also wonder how it is possible that 6.1 works at this point given this problem if it is this, of firmware and mesa drivers... Maybe from 6.2 there are new AMD Radeon drivers that need these updates and therefore it is not on purpose but at this point I wonder, why on Debian 11 it works fine with any new Kernel and Debian 12 which in theory should start already more updated, does not work anymore? Is it possible that the firmware of Debian 12 is older than the one you made me update at the time on 10 and 11? Or that the Mesa drivers are older than those in the same way? All this is very strange...In any case I entered the repositories to update the firmware and then I ran the update and it actually updated some parts of AMD GPU, then I tried to search for a Mesa update but it tells me they are updated but the version it brings me is 22 and I think that instead it should be updated to 24 if I'm not mistaken... Is it possible to update the Mesa drivers to the latest stable version? If so, what commands should be executed?
« Last Edit: Today at 12:37:45 pm by MauryG5 »