Author Topic: Fedora or Suse ppc  (Read 725 times)

migsutu

• View Profile
Fedora or Suse ppc
« on: August 22, 2024, 09:54:38 am »
What is the experience with the latest Fedora and Suse versions? Traditionally I have used Fedora, and version 40 with KDE6 and Plasma is very very nice. I have several things that effect my system, like Updates through Discover showing up but handing on installation through the GUI. DNF update through the console works fine. The other issue I seem to have I am not able to restart the system. It will not reboot back, it require me turning the whole computer off and then back on. I am running a Blackbird with the 4 core processor. I experimented with Suse and it seemed like some of these issues didn't happen with it.

I guess I should have mentioned I am using this machine as my day to day desktop machine. Wondering if anyone else is doing this as well.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Fedora or Suse ppc
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2024, 01:20:14 pm »
... The other issue I seem to have I am not able to restart the system. It will not reboot back, it require me turning the whole computer off and then back on ...

What happened in detail? Black screen? Which GPU? fast-reset on or off?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 02:31:55 pm by MPC7500 »

DKnoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 03:39:44 pm »
I have the same problem on Fedora 39 on Talos. Restarting doesn't work. You have to turn the machine off and on. I got used to it  ;)
Desktop: Talos II T2P9S01 REV 1.01 | IBM Power 9/18c DD2.3, 02CY646 | AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 | 64GB RAM | SSD 1TB

migsutu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 04:41:00 pm »
It reboots, motherboard beeps, and then monitor never comes alive again. Have to do a hard power off.

I am running a Radeon RX5500XT.

I am not sure on fast-reset on or off. Is this a setting on the board?

Yes I have been getting used to just powering it off. I was curious what other people were experiencing.

MPC7500

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 07:42:46 pm »
You just have to disable fast-reset. It's written here.

migsutu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 05:48:42 pm »
Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that.

power9mm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 02:15:24 pm »
i don't think alot of people use opensuse. I did when I had a blackbird, leap was pretty good I liked it more than fedora but codecs for video playback were a problem unsure if that's resolved now. There was also the issue of missing libraries in the repo needed to build software on occasion. When I used leap I had to use a newer kernel for some ppc64le patches/updates that weren't in the standard mainline leap kernel. Tumbleweed is pretty incomplete, it's near unusable for a desktop imo. Fedora had more software support but I wasn't really a fan of it, it had problems with my mouse when clocked at 1000hz and just didnt feel as solid/stable. most people tend to use fedora or debian though. I used a blackbird as a main desktop, it's not super different from x86 linux imo.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 02:18:04 pm by power9mm »