Software > Applications and Porting

[DEV] An attempt to package chromium for ppc64le in the official Fedora DNF repo

(1/4) > >>

tle:

EDIT: Than Ngo of Red Hat has cherry-picked all ppc64le patches into the main trunk. Now we officially have chromium for Fedora 40 or newer!

URL https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/chromium/pull-request/37 *STILL WORK IN PROGRESS*

The last time I was successful at getting Chromium up and running in Fedora is 3 years ago. That was version 88. Now Chromium has reached version 117.

This weekend I've spent a bit of time to adapt Timothy Pearson's patchset from Debian deb package for the official chromium Fedora RPM. So far I could get the whole application compiled and running HOWEVER the browser get into SIGSEGV or SIGTRAP with web pages that has JavaScript. So I speculate this might be related to the V8 engine.

The error outputs in the console is not so much helpful:

--- Code: ---[1961086:1961086:0910/235841.808221:ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] "Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid regular expression: /([^\s]+?)\(([\s\S]*)\)/: Maximum call stack size exceeded", source: chrome://resources/polymer/v3_0/polymer/polymer_bundled.min.js (1)
[0910/235911.891648:ERROR:check.cc(298)] Check failed: false. NOTREACHED log messages are omitted in official builds. Sorry!
[0911/000357.201831:ERROR:check.cc(298)] Check failed: false. NOTREACHED log messages are omitted in official builds. Sorry!

--- End code ---

I also attempt to gdb and could not find any useful backtrace (NOTE: I manually commented out all `strip` symbols in the build spec file).

The full log out when trying to open a webpage https://gist.github.com/runlevel5/3c85515c521ebcfb6ca65e4697b6b1d1

Any idea how to get more logs out of V8 in Chromium?

Hasturtium:
I just want to say how much I appreciate this. Though I love using Firefox as my daily driver and ClassicHasClass is making great progress toward fully porting its JIT for everyone, it would be nice to have Chromium to fall back on for the odd page that doesn't test on as many other browsers as it should.

tle:
These days I am using GNOME Web simply because I loves its simplicity. However the WebkitGTK is pretty poor in performance.

I am too grateful for all the works the OpenPOWER community has done.

@ClassicHasClass is there anything I could assist with the firefox JIT?

ClassicHasClass:
It's just a matter of sitting down and doing the work. I'm reassembling everything against the current ESR so I have a stable base again.

MauryG5:
Do you mean that Chromium could officially return to Fedora complete with a Raptor repository as already happens on Debian?  It would be a great thing... I just recently picked up Fedora and updated it to version 37 at the moment because it seems to be the one that goes best with Gnome.  I didn't upgrade to 38 because my TLE friend said that unfortunately Gnome on 38 is slow and ugly again... 37 instead finally works quite well for Fedora.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version