Raptor Computing Systems Hardware > Mod Zone

Custom cooler mount

(1/5) > >>

Woof:
I thought I'd share some work-in-progress on this. It's not yet finished, and I'm waiting on the next iteration to be CNC'd.

After a lot of prompting from @Vikings, I designed a bracket that allows other coolers to be fitted (Noctua SecuFirm2 and AMD AM4/5). I'm testing here with an NH-U12A, and the temps are better than the stock cooler (and it's quieter!). This version shown is flawed, and I don't know if the changes will fix it: the Noctua 78mm mount is too flexible, so the cooler can move, and since there's no independent loading mechanism on the T2 this movement transfers to the CPU (which then crashes the system).

In a few weeks when I get the next version back I'll retry with the Noctua cooler, and I'll also compare with an EK AM5 water block.

(I'll share the design files when it's done, whether it works or not.)

vikings.thum:
Woof has done an amazing job!

The 3U IBM HSF weighs 637g versus 1220g of the NH-U12A.
I can totally see this with a sturdier custom mount that replaces the Noctua's which in turn will allow for a more even and higher pressure.

Woof:
Thanks!

The version tested here is quite compromised. I'd been trying to get it thin enough for AM5 mounts that the Noctua mount got neglected, then I made things worse by needing to manually drill out a counterbore, so there's about 2mm of thread here (which is AFAIK where a lot of the instability comes from). I threadlocked the screws (otherwise the Noctua mount unscrews them as it tightens) but it gave on the last turn on one side, so it's not tightened all the way. Aaaand, I'm using Carbonaut instead of thermal paste, which is extremely slippy (which I think adds to the movement).

I've attached an STL of the latest version, which I'm hoping is even 3D printable with the right plastic (though maybe only viable with the AM5 mount; I 3D printed the test versions for the dimensions and fit, but never powered up with one). As you can see it's much thicker, which meant a compromise for the water block (more of when I get to test it!).

ClassicHasClass:
That's excellent work.

Woof:
Thanks! I'll be back on it in a few weeks with more results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version