Software > Firmware

Reduce fan speed during boot

(1/2) > >>

manatails:
Hello, is there a way to modify the pnor so that the machine does not crank up the fan to full speed during initial boot?

ClassicHasClass:
The reason for the IPL fan test is to ensure the fans work and respond. Other than the noise, is there a reason you'd prefer it doesn't do that?

manatails:
Mainly it's just noise, I am trying to use my Blackbird in a more desktop-like fashion but having to wait a full minute while the fan is running at full speed each time the computer boots is not a very pleasant experience.

Since the firmware is open source I think it would be possible to change the behavior... hopefully change the initial fan speed to something like 70% which is much more acceptable but I am not sure which part of the code is relevant. I searched for the term 'fan' on pnor source tree but I couldn't find something that looked like the boot sequence.

DKnoto:
I used to be annoyed by the launch noise, too. I solved it in the simplest possible way. I don't turn off my Talos II. Now the machine hums at full load and on reboot after a kernel update.

manatails:
I can see that there are alternative workarounds, but I'm wondering if we can make the most out of the open source nature of our systems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version