Raptor Computing Systems Hardware > Mod Zone

Initial findings running on water cooling

(1/3) > >>

Woof:
I'd like to share my early, initial findings water cooling (finally!) my Talos II using this kit with some Thermal Grizzly paste:

https://store.vikings.net/en/water-block-assembly-for-power9-cpus

I have dual 18-core CPUs, testing with only one CPU for now. I'm running on a test bench, with a simple AIO radiator/pump/reservoir combo (Alphacool Eisbaer). I'm stressing the CPU using my own benchmark (I do numerical 'stuff') so I have the same on Threadripper, Apple M1 Ultra, etc. A photo of the messy test bench is attached.

The numbers with the big, noisy HSF are in the mid-70s (Celsius, I'm not a savage...) with the fans running LOUD! And with the water block it's mid-40s, with the fans stalling on the radiator because they're running so low. It's running silently, which is very pleasing!

Next is to get the second CPU plumbed in.

ClassicHasClass:
Very nice. The trick will of course be making a case out of that. Where were you thinking of putting the external radiator?

Woof:
I'm building with a custom loop, this radiator is just for testing. I have a couple of the McPrue, erm, Mac-inspired cases I'm building into, squeezing E-ATX motherboards and water cooling.

The Threadripper build needed custom brackets designing and printing to replace the case closing mechanism. The T2 motherboard is a little smaller so fits fine (it just needed extra standoffs drilling and threading). Next is to work out the mounts for the reservoir, and decide whether I'm going to try with a dual pump or not.

Both still need a custom solution for the power connectors.

MPC7500:
What case is this? :)

Woof:
McPrue Apollo ATX:

https://www.mcprue.com/store

A very expensive, hand-built Mac Pro clone. It's like the Dune case, but it actually shipped and some dude didn't run off with mine and everyone else's money. They're very nicely made but too small for building E-ATX into, at least without the extra work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version