Third Party Hardware > General Discussion

2 boot work-around

(1/3) > >>

xilinder:
I have a minimal Debian install that I use for kernel building. It does not have X.
After tinkering around for a bit I noticed I had warm rebooted more than 3 times. So just for grins I did four more warm reboots. No problems.

I then started Debian 10.2 (with X) and killed the display manager and was able to warm reboot that 4 times, that is all I tried. The same for Ubuntu 18.04

While in X open a terminal, log in as root or use sudo,

root@deb /etc/init.d/lightdm stop ---or whatever display manager is on your system like xdm, gdm3, etc..

Then CTRL+ALT+F2, login as root(or sudo) and type reboot.

It seems to take a bit of time for X to shutdown in Ubuntu.

Please let us know if this works for you more than 3 reboots.

madscientist159:
If this is in relation to the AMD GPU hang, the actual fix for the GPU ASIC not reloading firmware is in kernel 5.1.  Once we update the skiroot kernel to 5.4 (with the Navi patches) hopefully this problem will go away for good. 8)

MauryG5:
As for the Kernel, now having the version with the patch you are talking about,(5.5.0.1 or 5.4.0.2) how should we behave in front of the official updates that for example periodically releases Fedora? Do they affect our patched kernel? If so what should we do?

MPC7500:
KLICK

xilinder:
I'm not a Fedora expert.
Since Fedora will update a complete kernel and initramfs it should not delete a existing kernel but rather move it up the list in grub.
On Debian I rename my custom kernels so they always appear at the bottom of the grub list in petitboot. For example, I may rename them vmlinux-9x3, initramfs-9x3 and SystemMap-9x3.
The real name for these kernels is still within the kernel itself and the new name is only for grub.
I do not know if this works on fedora or not, and you would need to update grub which is different on Fedora then from Debian. Please consult the fans of Fedora for a proper way of doing this to keep your custom kernel as the first or default boot kernel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version