Software > Operating Systems and Porting

Virtualization Extensions are unavailable

<< < (2/3) > >>

madscientist159:

--- Quote from: cchinicz on May 19, 2020, 02:14:56 pm ---Hi,

Thanks. I've succeeded to create a VM using virt-manager.

But the path /dev/kvm does not exist in my file system. Does that mean that I'm running software virtualization and not hardware virt?

Regards

--- End quote ---

Good to hear you got it working.  If you're not noticing the VMs being extremely slow, then you're using hardware virtualization.  It's possible Fedora doesn't ship with the /dev/kvm device node, but I'll admit to being a bit out of my depth with the RPM-based distros.

You could try "sudo virt-host-validate" (provided by libvirt-client) and see if that shows anything on the actual status of the virtualization support?

ClassicHasClass:
/dev/kvm is present on Fedora. I think this is more of an issue with GNOME Boxes. I just call QEMU directly and KVM works fine.

shawnanastasio:
Check to see if you have the kvm_hv kernel module loaded with
--- Code: ---lsmod |grep kvm
--- End code ---

If it's not there, try
--- Code: ---sudo modprobe kvm_hv
--- End code ---

cchinicz:
Hi Guys, thank you all :)

madscientist159 wrote: "try "sudo virt-host-validate"" and I got an almost all PASS, except a few FAILs (below) which I do not know how to fix
- LXC: Checking for cgroup 'cpu' controller support                         : FAIL (Enable 'cpu' in kernel Kconfig file or mount/enable cgroup controller in your system)
- LXC: Checking for cgroup 'cpuset' controller support                      : FAIL (Enable 'cpuset' in kernel Kconfig file or mount/enable cgroup controller in your system)
- LXC: Checking for cgroup 'freezer' controller support                     : FAIL (Enable 'freezer' in kernel Kconfig file or mount/enable cgroup controller in your system)
- LXC: Checking for cgroup 'blkio' controller support                       : FAIL (Enable 'blkio' in kernel Kconfig file or mount/enable cgroup controller in your system)

ClassicHasClass wrote: "/dev/kvm is present on Fedora." ; I found it

shawnanastasio wrote: "lsmod |grep kvm" which produces the following response:
kvm_hv                235985  0
kvm                   357010  1 kvm_hv

So, it seems hardware virtualization is enabled. I created a Fedora 32 VM through virt-manager with 2 vCPUs and installed stress. When I stress the 2 vCPUs I see on the host System Monitor that 2 of my 16 threads are at 100% (thread 9 and some other thread, which keeps jumping among the other 15..). So, if I got it right, this VM is really having 2 vCPU fully allocated to it. If it did not have hardware virtualization enable would I still be able to allocate 2 threads?

Regards

ClassicHasClass:
I think a better means is to try to create a VM in QEMU directly. I think you have too many layers in the middle to verify functionality. Try this: https://www.talospace.com/2018/11/making-your-talos-ii-into-ibm-pseries.html

If it boots AIX (fast) with KVM on, then you know it's working, and the other issues are most likely related to configuration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version